Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need input regarding performance chips

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric M., Jul 28, 2002.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I have a 91 Burb, 350, L480E, 4:10 and 33" tires. It is a bit sluggish when excelerating (off the line or when passing). I'm looking for a performance boost, but living out here in CA, the smog man will shut me down if I do so much as install the wrong color plug wires.

Anyone have any experience with performance chips? Is there a noticable difference? Any brand better than others or are they mostly hype?

Thanks,

Eric M.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Check the "ADS Super Chip" post just before yours. FWIW, most people with cars that have installed these, and done before/after testing of them, have not been impressed. Looking at some of the research others have done on these chips (run them and looked at the data with a laptop and link software) the basic premise of the chips is to increase timing. Having to run higher octane gas is a dead giveaway that is what they are doing.

If you are feeling that your problem is abnormal, its probably a good idea to figure out what is causing the problem, as long as its not because the motor is too small or the axle ratio is numerically too low /forums/images/icons/smile.gif