Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need input

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Rooster53, May 8, 2000.

1. Rooster53

Rooster53 Registered Member Premium Member

i just bought a 1988 K-5. any suggestions on a really good sound sysetem, such as a cd head deck, speakers,amps, and other things. money is no problem when it comes to music.
    thanks,
    The Rooster53

2. Adrock

Adrock 1/2 ton status

well, I will just tell you what I have for a system. kinda exspensive, but its the best i have heard from a blazer. I have CD(controlled dispersion)Technologies components up fron in kick panels from Q-forms. and cd techs 6 1/2 coaxials in the rear in custom fiberglass enclosures ontop of the wheel wells, I've never heard anything better than these speakers, and I have had MB quarts before, and these sound better. for a head unit I have the Pioneer Deh-8000 with the mini-disc slave. i Have a soundstream amp running the cab speakers, and ANY soundstream 4 channel amp will be fine. For subs I have three earthquake Magmas(2-12s and 1-15)in a custom triangle shaped box. running those I have an earthquake 200DHC digital amp pushing 2100 watts RMS(700 per sub). For bass leveling I have an audioBahn BassCube. I plan on adding some audio control equalizers in the future, but I can wait. I am not tryin to win any competions, but I care about my sound. And I wheel my beast all the time. I hit 158.8 Db with the cust teanau cover I made to make the airspaci in my truck smaller, but I dont use it that much, only for db checking. any other questions, please ask.

Adam
    a.k.a. Adrock
    88 Chevy Blazer FI 383
    Aint nothin' like the sound of Chevy Thunder

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I install car stereos for a living. From what I've seen in the car stereo world, I'd say Eclipse makes the best decks. I also have been a fan of Alpine and Clarion Pro Audio. Rockford Fosgate amps aren't as good as they used to be, but I still like them. Xtant amps too. JL subs are nice.
    Tell you what...find something you might want to buy and before you get it, just send me a private message on the board and ask me about it. Maybe I'll be able to help you out...give you a little extra insight.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

To list them in quality and usuability order. I would go eclipse first, pionmeer 2nd, Alpine third. Amps well inexpensive MTX arent bad can't take a ton of cranking they get really hot. rockford is always a good choice. Alpine v12 amps arent bad, but I am a serious orion fan. U.S. Amps get nice reviews to. Speakers The doors in blazers rock, but if you dont have room go with q forms in the kicks and some tweets in the dash. 10's for nice tight punchy bass. Thry fit nicely in the side panels 12's for longer deeper sustained bass,, but they do require a box . 15"s foir ground shaking deep bass. These are a bit slow for punch so cross them off low.

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    http://79blueknight.homepage.com

5. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

Sorry Blueknight,I don't mean to kick ya where it counts but the ONLY thing I like about Eclipse is their anti-theft replacement policy.My friend had one ripped off and it was replaced very quickly.The deck itself is pretty much crap after only about 1.5 years and thats not abused or off-road.
    Personally I've had good luck with JVC head units(they DO make cheaper stuff so look at the higher qualities)AS far as the MTX amps-I've owned 2 and borrowed 1 and never had any overheating problems,one of which was mounted in a really bad spot with a lot of heat.they never shut down at all unless the battery was going dead while parked.
    Thats just my experiences though and I'm NO expert at all.

<font color=red>Wanna'keep wheelin? Get involved!
    Check the "Land Use" section of this board.</font color=red>

6. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

I do not own a eclipse head unit I have a Pioneer. Love it no problems and sounds great. I used to sell eclipse. customer service was sketchy butthe cd player had great clarity especially with their 1 bit MASH converter. As for off roading I do not know how well they stood the test of time. I sold then in 97

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    http://79blueknight.homepage.com

7. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

all parts are now ten years old, but they still crank:
    alpine cd/tuner head unit
    alpine amp (2)
    infinity speakers: satellites up in the doors, 6" mids in the kicks, 6X9's next to the rear seat.
    adding another amp with a sub in the far rear side panel.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

8. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

I have a Pioneer DEH-8000 deck (thank you State Farm), Cadence amps (Shockwave series), Boston Ralley Subs, sealed box (2X12"), and Polk 6.5" componets in the doors and 6"X9" in front of the rear bench and I have NO complaints. It cost alittle, but I LOVE my music (NO RAP).

Displacement, cubes, and did you say you drive a riceburner???

9. Slimm

Slimm Newbie

I have a Clarion Pro Audio head unit with processor. I am running Boston Pro 6.45 components in a set of custom kick panels I made using the factory panels and short hair fiberglass then covered them with factory GM grey vinyl. In the rear I have Boston Pro 6.5 components in fiberglass enclosures as well. I have an Orion 425HCCA running a pair of Orion Series 2 NT 15's dual voice coil and an Orion 150HCCA running the upper end. This is pretty simple and straightforward but it is extremely clean and very loud. I have hit 159db cosistently and have not had a minutes trouble in a year and a half of service.

10. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

let's see some pics

11. Rooster53

Rooster53 Registered Member Premium Member

I just wanted to say thanks to all you guys and the info you gave me. i really appreciate it. if any of you guys ever need info just give me a yell.
    thanks,
    rooster

12. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

iam currently running a 10 base tube
    with a Kenwood mono Amp / very nice sound
    Acoustic 4ch on the rest ...

13. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

I'm running a Pioneer P-4000 head unit, DEI 5 band in dash equalizer, Lanzar 60 band equalizer, Lanzar Opti Drive 2200, Three 12" Lanzar DC Series DVC Subs, A Kicker ZR120 and a ZR 240, two sets of Kicker resolution 6 1/2" Component sets, 8" midbasses, a MTX LSB1 line driver, and a Stinger 1 farad monitor top capacitor. I used to run two Kicker 12" XPL's off of another ZR240 but I got my three Lanzars and the 2200 pretty cheap and wanted to make a little more noise. They definitely did the trick!! I was topping 143 db before, can't wait to see what it does now.

BONDO WILL FIX ANYTHING!!!

14. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

Just got my new subs in and wired up yesterday. Haven't got the cover plates or the carpet on yet but here's what it looks like now. It's kind've dirty in this pic. Hadn't clened it out yet either.

15. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

I spy some pending Cancer of the Ass....
    better get that worked on soon before
    it's too late... $$$$$$$$$

16. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

Don't worry... a full body and paint job is coming this summer...

Sure, point out my imperfections!!! LOL

17. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

looks alot like every other Blazer a$$ I have seen. "Hammerite it!"
    Nice system..

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Espen88k5</font color=blue>

18. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I am running a 600 watt massive amp 1 ohm with 2 massive 15's in a bandpass. I really want to go comp. So I will have to have my box with 10 12's full

Bigger is Better
    Cameron Burnett
    82 Jimmy