Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Input!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, May 19, 2000.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Ok guys/gals,
    This is relating to my previous post about the np203 in the 79 blazer.
    Well now I need to know what ya'll think of the 79 blazer in general. Any thing I should especially keep an eye out for?
    Does the frame still crack at the steering box like in the mid 80's models?
    This blazer does have the part time conversion kit, does anyone else out there have this? Does it work good? And last but not least, I have a HECK of a time getting these doors to shut, I grabbed the bottom of the door and pulled up there was some play, about 1/2 an inch to 1 inches or so, the question is, with this amount of play, if I replaced the door hinges would that be enough to correct the problem or does it sound like I would need new body bushings also? And correct me if I'm wrong (only done 1 body lift, on a toyota) if I add a body lift I won't need to replace the body bushings. Or will I need new body bushings also if I decide to just add a body lift? Oh yea.... 4" suspension, 3" body, would 38" 14.50/15.50's rub the fenders(15x10 wheels). Well I think I'll stop asking questions for now. Thanks for the help.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey MudFrog
    I don't know anything about the 79 but on my 72 I have 4"supen w/3" body and when you do the bodylift I would recomend a body mount bushing kit made by http://www.energysuspension.com and get the black kit it is said to be inpregnated with polygraphite to reduce the poly squeek syndrom!!
    As for your 38"ers I would say yes they will fit but also would hit the corners when on a flexy trail, but a hammer or trimming will fix that[​IMG]!!
    Late

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If you install a body lift and io not reinstall the bushings then you are not really getting the total lift.. You really should install new bushings!

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

To answer your steering box frame cracking, Yeah, they are prone. I think all blazers are prone to frame cracking. I'm not 100% about 69-72 K5's, but definate on 73-91 K5's.
    Boss

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys,
    Well the way I see it is if I gotta put new bushings on, I might as well get some extra lift from a body lift.

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I'm not a fan of big body lifts. If I was going to run 38's, I'd get a 6 inch lift and cut the fenders. And you do NEED to do the frame brace before you do anything else. www.offroaddesign.com has one for $100. It was cake to install. I had a '79 Blazer in high school and I loved it. Have fun

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Well I reckon if I was to do a 6" lift I could add some cut out fender flares, it should clear ok with that.