Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Input !!!!!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by homemadesin, Aug 31, 2002.

1. homemadesin

homemadesin 1/2 ton status

I am looking at a '72 Blazer in CA (one I've been eyeing for several weeks). Anyway, I took a look at it today and need soem feedback on estimated costs for a few items:

(1) Leaf springs: it looks as if the front leaf springs are "frowning", i.e. curved downward instead of the normal curved upward. Is this normal? The rear appears to be somewhat normal, but I don't know what the OEM spec. is for height from ends to middle. What is the cost to get it back to spec? Also weird, it sits nearly level - maybe a slight droop in the rear (so why "smiling" leafs rear and frown front)?

(2) The transfer case appears oily (not really suprised) but has a slight leak. What is the typical cost to button one up?

(3) Any nightmares with emmissions? I saw the post about emissions in CO (I live in Castle Rock, CO - fortunate enough to be within the Denver Metro Air Testing coverage). This truck has electronic ignition (doen a couple of years ago). Is there some costs I need to be aware of, just in case?

Thanks for the help!

2. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

I can answer the first question. The front springs being in a negative arch is correct. This was for a better ride. If it sits nearly level, be thankful, alot of them sag bad in the back.

3. NuBombs72K5

NuBombs72K5 1/2 ton status

I had my NP205 rebuilt for around $300 a couple of years ago. They did a great job and I've had no problems.

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Front springs should be concave toward the axle.

NP205s are pretty easy to rebuild. Just get yourself a rebuild kit for about $120 and have at it. Why seal it up without replacing the bearings and re-setting the clearances?

Emissions may or may not be a nightmare. If the guy who owned it before you can smog it in CA, it'll smog anywhere. If he can't produce a legal smog certificate for the thing, you will have to find the parts it'll take to get it legal. You will need: Evaporative emissions equipment (charcoal can, correct Quadrajet carburetor, correct fuel tank, correct gas cap), thermostatic air cleaner with hot air stove, transmission-controlled spark, functioning vacuum advance in the distributor, PCV (no valve cover breathers!), AIR (aka smog pump).

5. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Being in Colorado all they will check is that you have not taken off any smog parts, which on your truck is nill. I brought my 74 here from Alabama that can not spell emisions check much less do one. I did have to change my jets in the carb to get past the sniffer, but I have headers and true duals with a non EGR dual plane intake, They did not say a word about. Pass one time put collector plates on it and never have to pass again.

6. homemadesin

homemadesin 1/2 ton status

How hard is it to rebuild the xfer case? I don't mind working on engines, but I've never had the desire to take on transmissions or similar equipment.

7. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

anything before 75 doesnt have to be smogged in california.so there may be no smog stuff left in the engine bay.the only thing you may have to pass is the co2 test for smog immitions.the 72 only had a charcoal canister and a pcv for smog.the other tube on the other side went up to the air filter housing to suck up the crankcase gases.

8. avgjoe

avgjoe Registered Member

Alabamians can too spell emishions...wait
    emicion...nope
    emmischun...naw that ain't right
    ...well I bet some of us could spell it.