Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need jewelry advice

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by az-k5, Jan 12, 2006.

1. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

As far as I know the GF never visits CK5 so I should be safe.

I am in the market for an engagement ring or a wedding set. I understand how TW carats are measured, and calrity, cut and such but am still in a new zone.

What else do I need to know?

What questions should I be asking?

What type of things should I look for?

Any company's to avoid?

Any company's to support?

She is a bit hard on jewelry so I do need a warranty but hate the come back every 6 month crap. Any company's that don't use that gimik?

Thanx

PS is a simple lunch with her dad and I enough to ask for his blessing? (he likes me, and is pretty down to earth but doesn't say much)

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

cant fill you in on the stone questions, but i know it was far less expensive to go to a localy owned place and have a ring made the way i wanted it than it was to buy an off the shelf ring. it is less expensive due to the fact you can pick the stone you want. clarity does not matter unless you want to be able to sell it. the naked eye can to tell a stones clarity too well on the upper end of quality.

what i did was drop the quality two levels and buy a larger stone for the same cost. you could put the same size stone next to the more clear one and without something to look into the stone could not even tell.

as for pops, i think a nice sit down lunch would be good. start a trend thoguh. dont ask him on the first lunch. kind of start a trend. you buy one he buys one, then keep it going like that for a couple times. then ask. its more of a surprise that way. even take her once or twice.

thats how i would do it anyway.
    Grant

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Your gonna do it , awesome :bow:

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Local jewlers will many times offer a lifetime warranty on the prongs (or whatever they are called) that hold the diamond. As far as the diamond, I never can tell the difference when you get to minor stuff. My jewler and insurance company can. Or they just lied to me, I would never know. You can see flaws (or if they are too small, who cares) and clarity is good b/c it makes the stone shine, but after some level its all a bit wasted on me.

5. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I always look at jewelry as an investment (in case if you ever need to hock it ;) ). If you don't care that much about quality, then get a cubic zirconia :rolleyes: They look as nice as a diamond :dunno:

Some jewelers don't have their people working off commission so they are more likely to give it to you straight rather than just try to sell you an expensive ring.

There are places were you can go and pick out a stone -- they will mount it in a solitaire setting and then you can go back with your fiancee and have her pick out a setting that she loves...

Good luck :waytogo:

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

find a local friend that has a wholesalers license. My mom has one and I got an awesome 1/2 carat diamond for about 1/3 what it would cost at a store. Then I took it to a local jeweler to get it mounted, get their warrenty etc. My wife has a ring worth more than $2k and total I spent was under $1000. She was happy and I didn't have to spend more than I wanted. Jewelery is one of the most marked-up products there is. 500% or more isn't uncommon in the retail market. If you can avoid that, do so.

j

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I just bought the wife diamond studs for Christmas, spent a lot of time researching it. The clarity and color are less important if you are not looking at it as an investment. I can say that I found that the diamonds at Sam's were of superior quality and lower price than any of the 10 other places I looked at. The reports that I looked into also seemed to agree that Sam's and Costco were the best places to buy as well (at least for the average consumer). I also found that for myself, if they were not certified then I was not interested, non-certified seem to be at or below even the lowest grades of color and clarity, and I could tell the difference between any certified and a no with the naked eye.

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

oh, i have had good luck with ben bridge jewlers as well. prices are awesome and for me it is a last resourt.
    Grant