Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Job!?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by alf4444, Jul 27, 2004.

1. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I'm currently seeking new employment mostly to to better myself and bring me closer to my financial goals. I figured what better place to pimp myself than on here where I would have a better chance of attaining a job that better suits my interests so if anyone knows of anything let me know. I'm willing to relocate for the right deal and as I'm only 26 a complete career change is possible. Currently I am a purchasing agent for a pharmaceutical company, and would love to find a job doing the same in the automotive industry, I have been with this company for close to 3 years. Prior to that I was an electrician for 6 years. So help a guy out and let me know whats out there!

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Re: New Job!?

Maybe we can get this a sticky thread like over at the other Place (RRRRRRRRR!). They have a sticky with wanted and need jobs postings /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Good luck on the search, I'm 26 also looking to change (actually find) a job. Was in Graphics arts printing and didn't care for it, want to move into the tech area, use more of my business degree and computer knowledge.

Good luck man /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I know of a perfect job its in the electrician/communication field, pay is decent but it has great benefits full medical/dental and a great retirement plan. The only draw back is there would be a little travel. Let me know what you think and I'll give you the details.

4. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I'm up for anything really I actually have some exp. in comm. Travel isn't so bad if its minimal. PM me the details! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well the travel isn't that minimal, I have lived from CA to NC and traveled a wide variety of places I never thought I would go. I have no complaints about the job I am doing now, I was even an instructor for the Communications Electronics portion of the school they send you too. Very physical and have to be in really good shape to complete the job. Not everyone is the right person for the job.

6. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

PM Me some details! Word around the office is tomorrow is lay off day and will probably be %40 of the company. Don't know if I'm one of them but seems to me your never safe in these situations /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

7. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

BTT! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I'm getting bored at home and need money for my toys! Someones got to know someone hiring!

8. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

sounds like one of those, travel to exotic places, meet interesting people , and KILL them jobs! US MARINES!!
    Can't really go wrong, being a marine though. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I know of a perfect job its in the electrician/communication field, pay is decent but it has great benefits full medical/dental and a great retirement plan. The only draw back is there would be a little travel. Let me know what you think and I'll give you the details.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think he wants to be an electrician in the Marines /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

They won't take me with the metal in my arm anyway /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

11. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

The place I'm working is always hireing, but it doesn't pay real good, and the owner is a power trippin/menopausal barbie wannabe,( what am I sayin?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif) I'd ride her like the the little shetland she is, anyway you don't want this gig /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

alf... youre damned lucky in my mind to have the job that you have no especially in current times iwth everything so down and horrible, and what happeend to the elctrician's career ? you dont want to do that kind of work now anmore or ? ?

if not then pelase hand me over all the knowledge and skills of that field!
    i could turn my life all around with that i would think, damn...

26 here too and have no career no job no nothing cept a GED that i passed with flying colors with no studying years ago, today i am a bum a nobody in 10k debt and losing all my teeth down to 13 of them,.

still have no damn idea what i want to do other than truck related

well in IL you are screwed if you are interested in classic vehicles, you wont find nay work related to any of it, nothing

only way is to get the hell away from here and go to where this stuff happens, restorations, customizations and such, not just of new cars and trucks,

no performance or speed shops, no axle shops, no tranny shops, no anything, no salveage yards locally,

i am either going with CDL permit and/or electricians course and apprenticeship over in indy as soon a si can get the FAFSA papers filled out and turned in, 5 weeks course and 90 some percent placement rate, and i do have interest in electricians work and employm,ent, had this interest and thoughts about since i was around 16, just have never acted upon it, yet, still and now mi freaking 26 already and a nobody stll,. and creditors threatennig me all the time, neck and back problems, down to 13 teeth, too skinny for my height, skin problems now, all new problems since being laid off permanently in aug 02, depression problems i have now from what i can gather from how i make posts and talk nowadays, i used to be a happy fforward looking positive acting person, nowadays im tired all the time and rarely have energy enough ot want ot evne walk out the front door, pissed off at the world, tired of trying, dont know what to do, lost confused, everything, physical pains that ive never had before and that worry me like just under my belly button and lower back and neck and sometimes heart pains liek sharp needle ones, i just bash my heart with my fist a couple times and it will usually go away
    also got no family around, never have, never got laong with mom, never knew my dad, never even met him til i was like uhhh 16 ? he still wont be around, got two brothers and a sis ive never known and will never know, got who knows what else family ive never met,

not good probably, i dunno......

good luck hope you all get to do and see thngs that you hope or need to. im not sure that i will see too much more of the world, i give myself til im around 30 and then i dunno,,,, unless something all these occur before that age: find a woman and work, get out of debt, get teeth set made, figure out why my skin is all breaking out on my faceback arms shoulders calves ankles feet, etc and why im damn tired all the time,

i think its too late though..

i screwed up too early on,

i dont see much good left in this lifetime,

so i reccomend that ppl take better care of themselves than i ever did, and also set and achieve goals that will carry you forward and up in this life, you will regret it if you dont, trustttttt me! learn from my mistakes and waste of life! you dont want to do what i did and end up how i am at 26, im worse off in life than ten years ago, buy far, reeaaaaal far! i really cant see how i am going ot reverse this now, too far into the black hole of 'life'

dont end up like me, if oyu are in a dead location/area thats never going to grow and has nothing ot offer except for retired persons- just like here- then get the H out of there ASAP,. this is something ive been needing to do since way back when and still have not a single little chance or opportunity to do, if you dont then the odds of you becoming anybody other than a white trash redneck broke ass bum are slim as H, unless you have a rich family or some crap.,

do anything that you frewaking can that can possibly somehow help you go forward,
    i should have been takng my own advice way long time ago, but i didnt have the advice back then, so,,

the only skills i have in life are ability to work with wires and the ability to complete dis and reassemble gm trucks and cars, and engines and such, but none of which does me any good here in small town IL that has no interest in growing or bringing more ppl or money in, never has and never will, town is zero growth and/or negative growth, and all is around are cornfield and tiny towns like 100 ppl or less mainly, for miles upon miles

:/

good luck!

13. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Randy-

Move away from this town you live in. You can (gulp, dare I say) move to D.C... Plenty of construction jobs. Start as general labor, and work up, go to school.

Your personal outlook on your life is bad. There are ALWAYS positives. From what you write most of the time, everything is bad. Think of the good things.. Think as to how your going to get out that town. Work hard to do whatever it takes to get out. Anything is possible with a little hard work and determination.

Now dont tell me that its not true. I see it all the time. Quit complaining about the grim outlook on life, and do something about it. Work to get out.

If you need to vent, PM me. I'm a good listener. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

14. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

"They won't take me with the metal in my arm anywa"

what do you have in your arm-I tried and they told me the same thing-6 pins and 2 plates is a bitch in the super cold of winter during boot camp /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

15. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    "They won't take me with the metal in my arm anywa"

what do you have in your arm-I tried and they told me the same thing-6 pins and 2 plates is a bitch in the super cold of winter during boot camp /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

heres the pics of my arm after the last surgery

http://community.webshots.com/album/69175109DCQkAa

9 major breaks and now the first 2" of my arm are metal hurts everyday by I suffer through it, I did regain full mobility but it pops now and then its mostly twisting ( like using a screwdriver) that bothers me. My dad was a recruiter for the Air Force and said theres no way any branch would except me, too much liability.

16. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    alf... youre damned lucky in my mind to have the job that you have no especially in current times iwth everything so down and horrible, and what happeend to the elctrician's career ? you dont want to do that kind of work now anmore or ? ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually don't have a job anymore a week after I posted this I got laid off as well as 40% of the company when there is a reduction in staff that large its doesn't leave the company with a big need for purchasing. Its pretty common in the biotech industry also, I give the company another 9 months tops. The plus of being in this round of layoffs is I got 2 months severance which is more than the people still there will get when they close the doors, the officers will probably take whats left and run /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.

As for the electrical work I still do a bit on the side but the main problem is the company I worked for had me doing out of town work so much I didn't have time for school. I was laid off 6 months before I would have "grandaddied out" Its either 4 years of night classes and 4 years on the job or 6 years on the job to obtain your journeymans license. I had 6900 hours and now my license has expired and there is no grandfather clause so I would have to start all over.

Right now with severance and side deals going I'm weighing my options and finding something to better my families life. Relocation is probably inevitable and I'm open for anything! Hell I even submited my resume to Furd /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif wouldn't that be a site being the only chevy in the parking lot /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

One thing I taught myself after the first layoff was not to take it personally, and not let it effect my attitude. Its part of business if the companies dieing they have to let people go /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif