Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need lift advise

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dodgedude99, Dec 7, 2003.

1. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

my K5 project is getting near completion cosmetically.
    so i will now need to move on to the suspension.
    i have a set of 37" MT/R's and 3/4 ton axles for it.
    my question is, can i get by with only a 6" kit, or do i really need a 8" kit. the truck is mostly a daily driver with some occasional offroading/mud play, nothing too radical.
    if i go with the 8" would i have to get the drive shafts lengthened and if so how much am i looking at to do that?

thanks

2. seanmp

seanmp Registered Member

I did a 2.5" with d 60 14ff and ran 35" on 10" wide wheels. only had trim corners in the front. I would think a 4" lift may work. The differance in axle tube dia. will give you some lift.

3. dodgedude99

sheetmetal trimming is out of the question, just finished painting it the middle of October.

4. dodgedude99

can anyone offer any advise?

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    sheetmetal trimming is out of the question, just finished painting it the middle of October.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you don't need 37" MT/Rs. A 37" tire will not fit into the fenderwell without trimming, therefore, you'd just have a worthless show truck that was incapable of using the equipment that it had.

I'd just do a 6" lift and some 35s and hope it didn't rub, but even then, it might. There is simply no way to avoid rubbing without trimming if your truck flexes like it should.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah 37s are gonna rub unless a) u trim or b) u have springs so stiff that flex isnt possible.

if ur worried about that body, just have a pro do the trimming.. they can even roll the cut edges so you have a factory-style lip on the inside of your fenders.

otherwise, if all ya do is light mud, a stiff-as-hell suspension oughta keep the tires from rubbing.. try some rancho springs, just ask for the heavy duty version and you'll be set.

j

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You are like me and would never cut your fenders! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'm with you it looks funny and out of place for a nice truck. If it was me with 37's I would just get a superlift 10" kit instead of the 8" because you will have to lengthen your shafts anyway and a 6" is out of the question because it's not enough lift for 37's and sweet fenders. Plus with a 10" lift you will have enough room for plenty of flex without touching those newly painted fenders anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. jekbrown

dunno about "looking funny", if you're willing to pay enuff to the body guy, you could get your fenders to look EXACTLY like stock ones, but just with a slightly larger opening... same rolled lip, same lil hump over the top of the fender etc etc... it'd just cost ya a lot. at any rate, clearly the intent is to make a bling-machine, so I'll leave the advice up to others more knowledgable in bling.

j

9. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You are like me and would never cut your fenders! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'm with you it looks funny and out of place for a nice truck. If it was me with 37's I would just get a superlift 10" kit instead of the 8" because you will have to lengthen your shafts anyway and a 6" is out of the question because it's not enough lift for 37's and sweet fenders. Plus with a 10" lift you will have enough room for plenty of flex without touching those newly painted fenders anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to get rid of those Ghettofabulous wheels.

10. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They look a hell of a lot better than any other rim around that I've seen. My rims are probably worth more than your whole truck! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Besides what gives you the right to make a comment like that when you probably haven't spent near the money and time I have and if you don't like them then thats your problem not mine.

11. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They look a hell of a lot better than any other rim around that I've seen. My rims are probably worth more than your whole truck! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Besides what gives you the right to make a comment like that when you probably haven't spent near the money and time I have and if you don't like them then thats your problem not mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

They may be worth more. They just look like the wheels I would see on trucks ith plates from "Son Mex".

P.S. What gives me the right? Well we live in the USA, si I have the freedom of speech, I am a paying member, I have a keyboard, computer and internet connection.

12. rjfguitar

I have never seen a truck with "son mex" on them, whatever the hell that is. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif No mexican or lowered rides have weld super single series rims. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif The only vehicles that have weld super single rims are trucks Because they are made for trucks, especially lifted ones with big tires. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I guess it's a respect thing then, you don't walk up to someone that has spent hundreds of hours of work and 16 grand on their truck to tell them you don't like it and they should get rid of something you don't like.
    If your the kind of person that does that to people than that just makes you an ass hole.

13. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have never seen a truck with "son mex" on them, whatever the hell that is. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif No mexican or lowered rides have weld super single series rims. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif The only vehicles that have weld super single rims are trucks Because they are made for trucks, especially lifted ones with big tires. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I guess it's a respect thing then, you don't walk up to someone that has spent hundreds of hours of work and 16 grand on their truck to tell them you don't like it and they should get rid of something you don't like.
    If your the kind of person that does that to people than that just makes you an ass hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, guess I am an a$$hole. However, those wheels stick way too far our and are too wide for those tires. What the hell have you spent $16K on?

14. jekbrown

people can $pend whatever they want, and if its cool to them, fine, thats their right. its also my right to say "wow, thats gay chit that doesnt make your rig any more capable!!" at any rate, lets try to get back on subject to help this guy out... we are straying a long ways from the original subject of the post...

j

15. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, guess I am an a$$hole. However, those wheels stick way too far our and are too wide for those tires. What the hell have you spent $16K on?

[/ QUOTE ] They aren't too wide for the tire because the tread width is 14" on the bogger. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif I don't like the look of sucked in tires. they are perfectly flat across
    [​IMG]
    16K you ask? built 406 SB,built 700R4, a whole new drivetrain that has been built up and swapped for better stronger parts( there you go Jekbrown, to that capable thing your always complaining about) Weld rims, boggers, exhaust done over twice, all new windows, custom tint, HUGE top of the line arc audio/jl audio system, billet grill and bezels, 6" lift, 3" body lift, all new A/C system, etc, etc, etc, do I need to continue? It adds up very fast when the best parts are used, almost everything has been changed, rebuilt, modified, customized, and a few things get done over for some reason.

16. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    (there you go Jekbrown, to that capable thing your always complaining about)

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, lets break it down homies...

hardcore/capable:

Weld rims - forged aluminum is good
    boggers
    6" lift
    14boltFF

bling/weeny:

Weld rims - kinda wide for them tires...
    custom tint
    new windows - were the old ones broke? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    HUGE top of the line arc audio/jl audio system
    billet grill
    bezels
    3" body lift
    all new A/C system
    Chrome this
    Chrome that
    5" tips - i know its a built 406... but /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    10bolt
    Dual flowmasters

looks like a lot more bling than "capable". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jus' playin', luv ya man. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

17. dodgedude99

ok guys thanks i guess i will just go somewhere else for advise. for the short time ive been on this board, it seems more and more like any other one. if somebody does something different then the regulars, it isnt cool and considered worthless. or to just bash on someones [darn] is just wrong.
    somepeople like to make their truck look good, somepeople dont care what it looks like, thats their choice and shouldnt be judged of because of that.
    and to think i wasted another $4 this month for bickering and bashing.

18. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Shawn,

Don't give up yet. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Sometimes for no apparent reason, a particular post becomes the breeding ground for a pissing match. It's not anything you did personally, just part of the dynamics of having 15,000 users all trying to share their own vision of what is correct.

You pulled the handle on the CK5 slot machine and got a 84_Chevy_K10 / rfjguitar / jekbrown combo....that means no gold coins for you this time around.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

You pulled the handle on the CK5 slot machine and got a 84_Chevy_K10 / rfjguitar / jekbrown combo....that means no gold coins for you this time around.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

20. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    my K5 project is getting near completion cosmetically.
    so i will now need to move on to the suspension.
    i have a set of 37" MT/R's and 3/4 ton axles for it.
    my question is, can i get by with only a 6" kit, or do i really need a 8" kit. the truck is mostly a daily driver with some occasional offroading/mud play, nothing too radical.
    if i go with the 8" would i have to get the drive shafts lengthened and if so how much am i looking at to do that?

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you will be fine with the 6" kit, if needed you could allways add a zero rate 1" block for a little more clearance. I have a 6" all spring kit with 36x14.50 on 16x10 wheels and as you can see as long as you didnt get to flexy you could run 37's.

BTW.....Sounds like you have built a nice K5, cant wait to see it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]