Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need lift install help

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kodiak, Nov 17, 2001.

1. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

I started putting on my lift today. What a nightmare. The shop I use is on a military base and does not allow any flame of any kind. The bolts were completely rusted to the sleeves inside the bushings. No amount of pounding on them did any good. I finally had to use a hacksaw on both sides of the bushings for the front springs. Usually not that bad of a thing but when working at head high and having to put upward pressure on the saw turned pretty bad. It took 9 hours to get them out and the new ones in. I don't even want to think about doing the rear springs right now.

Any ideas on how to get those rusted up bolts out of the bushings without using heat. I just threw the hacksaw out so thats not an option!

Thanks

<a target="_blank" href=http://kodiak.coloradok5.com>kodiak.coloradok5.com</a>

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

soak them in some type of penetrating oil for a few days. or tight the sh*t out of them till they snap and use a punch to get it out. you may also try a combination of oil and punch. put some oil in and tap it to get the oil to penetrate in there a bit.
    not sure what else to say, just go for it.

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    72 4x4 CST Blazer
    71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My Pics</a>

3. ImpalaSS

ImpalaSS 1/2 ton status

big F$$%kin hammer and a big ole long cheater bar

68 SWB 4x4 1 of 1,449 made 327, 465 4 speed, rockwell tcase, dana44, 14 FF, [urlhttp://communities.msn.com/68K10[/url]

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dude,
    your bringing back the nightmares i was having while installing my new springs front &amp; rear...
    I found that no hammer, penetrating oil, nothing wanted to help.
    I'd suggest one thing I tried for the front, is I got a bottle jack (Small hydraulic jack) and used a 2X4 to try and press the bolt out, I pressed it against the other frame rail but it did not want to budge.
    I used a grinder and had to cut through the bushings and cut the sleeve and bolt on both sides for the front of the front springs.
    The rear was a little easier I think.

For the rear, I found it was easiest to go to the Chevrolet dealer and get new shackles for the rear, and I didn't worry about destroying the old ones while grinding out the bolts holding the rear spring shackle. I suppose you could hacksaw those if you were careful without destroying the shackle.
    But the new shackle came with the lower bushings and sleeve installed which I wanted to replace anyways while I had it all apart.
    Sounds like a total frikkin' nightmare! No heat...no grinders or torches!???!

5. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

I had to break out the blue wrench to get mine off. [​IMG]

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

If you have an impact just hit it untill it snaps the bolt. Then just sawsall the other side off.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>