Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need locker help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by odoa3, Nov 10, 2005.

1. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I am trying to decide what locker to put in the front of the K5. I am swapping in a Dana 60 next spring, and rebuilding it this winter. I am concerned with loosing my turning radius, the little bit I do have with a full spool in the rear. I will have crossover steering to help with the turning as well. I run in mostly mud and trails with a few rock piles here and there. I would like to put a regular Detroit locker in it. Will I be sorry?

Also, anyone know anything about the Detroit NoSpin? Good, bad, unknown? It seems like it would have a little more give to it for the turning. I just can't find much information about it.

Thanks for any help or info.

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

The No-Spin is a Detroit Locker.
    I have one in my D60 and the turning radius does suck in the long bed, but i deal with it. If i had crossover i am sure it would help.

3. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Crossover or with Hydro assist will help. You can always unlock one hub for easier turning when need be. I would just Detroit it since I couldnt afford to go with an ARB or the likes.

4. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Readymix- With the NoSpin have you ever felt like you needed the original Detroit locker? Does it lock up pretty solid, so both front tires are pulling 100%, or do you feel one tire give up? I liked the idea of some give for turning, but I really wanted it to lock up hard when i was on the gas. Can you give me some real life experiences with it, both good and bad?
    Thanks, much appreciated.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

go detroit. I have one in my 60, no regrets at all. Turning radius is increased... but i have hydro assist and if I really want/need to crank it, I can. Usually I just make multiple-point turns so I'm not needlessly overworking the steering system etc though.

j

6. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The NoSpin and Detroit Locker work the same way, just different packaging for different applications.................technically the NoSpin is the drop-in style that just replaces the spider and side gears in a two piece case commonly found in 14-bolts, Rockwells, and other big truck pieces. The Detroit Locker is a full case replacement made for light truck and car applications that have a one piece carrier (Dana 60's, 10-bolts, etc....).

I've ran many trails with several different people with both open front diffs, selectables like ARBs, and full-time lockers. Watching them from outside the vehicle in tight turns on the trail it's really hard to tell which is which. It's not like the full-time locker guys are having a noticably tougher time making a sharp turn around a tree. I've personally ran a limited slip front and a full-locker in the front and noticed very little difference with turning ability. There has never been a time where I said "gee, I wish I had a selectable locker so I could unlock it for this turn". Out of the several guys I run with on a regular basis all of them have that same opinion.

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

As stated above the No-Spin and the Detroit Locker are one and the same. I love having it in my truck front and rear axles. It can make turning in the tight trails a PITA but it is worth it. Having one in the rear is not so bad. My truck has a SM465 so it acts more like a spool around corners.

9. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys! :waytogo: Never had a front locker before so want to be fully informed. The regular Detroit is the way I really want to go for reliability so this is reasuring.

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you want to offroad the truck hard there in no replacement for a full locker in the front. The turning isn't great but you will get used to it. Crossover makes it better and hydro makes it even better then that. For a D60 and reliability I would only choose the Detroit locker. It is tried and true in thousands of rigs with minimal failures.

Harley

11. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

how is that?

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Been running with a locker in the front of my K5 for a long time. Locked in rear too. Dont have a D60. Just running 10 bolts. But. I have no problems.Usually run with 1 hub unlocked til i need it to avoid unneeded wear and tear on my poor o'l 10 bolts. Detroit IMHO is the best.

13. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I think I understand what he is saying with this. I have the 465 as well and I don't know that it makes it act more like a spool but without a torque converter to soften the input to the axles you will notice it kicking in and out a lot more than with an auto tranny. The lockers engage with torque being applied to them and it is quite a bit more obvious with the manual than any of the auto tranny trucks i've driven. Almost unfriendly on the street as opposed to not even knowing its there.

14. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I would recommend a selectable locker of some sort. Ox,ARB, something like that. I am going to run one of the ox lockers in mine. I dont want to deal with the on road problems with a front detroit and i dont want to get out and unlock one hub just to turn easyer on the trail. I like the fact that i can lock and unlock the ox and they seem plenty stout enough. The only bad thing i see is the cost of the ox over a detroit.

15. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Exactly. Along the same note.....it does not bother me though. The cops on the base here gove me dirty looks though when i turn a corner. :haha:

16. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

:D Yeah you get used to it. At least its always there reminding you to go offroading by chirping and banging at you lol

17. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Go Detroit and you'll understand.... It's "THE" best.Period.:D