Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need lots of advice!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by aksidentproan, Jun 23, 2002.

1. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

Ok. I just got my rebuilt engine(thanks wayne) and need to do a few things to it.

1. I need a new clutch. What kind? How much? I would like a heavy duty. 11" or 12" diaphram?

2. Headers that will fit a first gen blazer. Would rather have torque then top end.(obvisously) What kind should I get?

3. Camshaft. What gives good power at a good price?

4. Its got a new Edlebrock Performer Intake manifold. Should I buy a new carb to put on it or use my quadrajet off my other engine that I know works?

What would my guestimated horsepower be?

Thanks,
    Evan

2. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Here goes...
    1. Centerforce, real good grippage, and long lasting with the double sided unit, expensive.

2. Doug thorley tri-y's, better on the low end, and have a nice hefty flange(3/8"), very expensive, I'm running a set, I love them.

3. Low to mid-range RV cam should be more than enough bottom end torque, as for manufacturer Crane, GM (has a very good one), etc.

4. Keep the old quadra-jet, just make sure it is in tune. The Q-jet is about the best off-road carb out there, it takes the bouncing and strange angles much better than any holley or edelbrock that I know of, plus it is a spread bore giving better mileage and bottom end torque than a square bore carb.
    Hope that helps.

3. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I was still not sure on which carb I wanted to do but I guess I'll just stick with the Q-jet sense she works just fine. Will it bolt right on an edlebrock performer intake manifold?

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Stay away from the Certerforce if you get into a lot of mud. The mud jams the wieghts and then you end up with a clutch with less clamping pressure than stock. If you don't get into deep mud then it's a ok clutch.

5. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Yeah there is an adaptor that you can get just about anywhere, so that the carb will fit on just about any intake, the added benefit is that the adaptor acts as a carb spacer which gives you extra power and torque, with slightly better mileage and throttle response.