Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need M1009 and M1008 guys help...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lotsa_Faith, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

<font color="green">I was looking at a M1009 that I will probably buy, and I noticed on the left of the steering wheel there was a switch that said "blackout lights". What is that switch for? The headlights</font color>

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

The blackout lights are the little lights mounted on the bumper on the back and the round light that is mounted inside the grill on the drivers side and I forget where the front marker lights are located without looking at one. It's used for night operations when using night vision goggles to be less visible at night. Its not really something you would have a use for as a civilian. If there isn't a regular light switch for the headlights still then that same switch controls the headlights also. There should be 3 switches on the control you are talking about. The lower left switch is for the interior lights and to turn on parking lights. The lower right switch is a lock release to be able to turn the top switch into "Black out Drive" or turn on the main headlights. Turning the top switch all the way to the left turns on the blackout lights and turning it all the way to the right should turn on the headlights. Turning it one click to the right allows the brake lights to operate etc.

I'm not a "m1009 or m1008 guy" but I drive military trucks all the time in the army. The info I mentioned about how the lights operate is from what I know of how it works while in military service.... I'm not real sure what, if any, changes to the wiring they may make when getting ready to sell to the public. Hope the info helped you a little either way.

3. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

there are two switches on the M1008/M1009. left switch is for the black out lights. right switch has three spots: service lights ON, all OFF, and blackout lights ON. When the service lights are on the lighting system runs like a normal civilian truck, when the switch is on blackout lights ON then the blackout lights in the grill and bumpers can be used. The fun switch is ALL OFF, thats one of the coolest things on the M trucks... it allows you to 4-wheel where you are not supposed to be without those bright brake lights comng on /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

the switch looks like a upside down Y, Top middle is your light controler, bottom left is your dash lights, and the right bottom is the lock, you have many options on light, like stop drive which is what a civilian model vehicle is, stop drive is simply all acc work and your brake and turn signals, no head lights. Then theres service drive which is all acc, and head lights on, blackout drive has the small spot lamp on along with the blackout brake lights, blackout marker is just the brake lights and the front marker(blackout). Then if you put your lights to service drive, and the dash switch all the way down to park, your run like you have just your parking lights on, just like a normal car. If you want I have all the publications(manuels) for a m1009, and can get you small items like glowplugs, and light bulbs/assemblys. Jesse

5. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

6. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

Naw this M1009's 6.2 has been replaced with a crate 350. I'm looking to buy it by the end of the summer, the guy's going off to college and needs better mileage from his car...so I'm gettin it for 2000 bucks...but the M1009 manual sounds like a good deal, I'll PM you when I need it to see if you still have it...

7. mudrunner78

yep your right I lost it there for a minute and went on to explain the wrong switch. I got it confused cause the guy next door is build a m1008 with a hummvee switch and light setup, and a 6.5 td. gonna be a nice truck when he gets it done. jesse

8. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

You boys are confusing the "military standard" light switch with the B/O light switches the CUCV uses. The inner switch positions : Drive (normal), Off, and Black Out Marker (cat's eyes).
    The other switch is for the Black Out drive, the little hooded light in the grille which barely lights up a foot path to the front of the vehicle. This switch returns to center after being moved off or on.
    Normally only the lead vehicle will use the B/O Drive and the following vehicles will use just the B/O Markers to judge correct following distance. Four hash marks (on each side) = too close, Two hash
    marks = proper distance, One mark = too far.

Oh ya, you don't normally use NVG (night vision goggles) in conjunction B/O lights, degrades NVG performance.

9. mudrunner78

yup thats why I stated that I confused the switches, I dont get in many m1008's very often, now as far as degrading the performace of NVG's with blackouts on I never had a problem, we drove damn near 50mph many a time in both NTC and kuwait with NVG's on, we used black out so we did't get smashed by the good ole M1A1 and shot by the AH64D hovering over head, they didn't bother our PVS7-A's a bit. Now we never used Blackout in somilia it was lights or none. I know somepeople have problems with NVG's and to much light, heck I had a driver that had to turn all light off and if the moon was full he couldn't use his NVG's. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Jesse