Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need more fuel

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by toy4fun, Sep 1, 2003.

1. toy4fun

toy4fun 1/2 ton status

I need to get more fuel out of my tank! Does any know If GM (or anyone) makes a fuel pickup/sending unit with a bigger pickup that would fit in a 86 Blazer 31 gallon tank? May be a unit out of a newer truck /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif thanks /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

First of all, why do you need more fuel?

Secondly, is this volume or pressure related?

3. toy4fun

toy4fun 1/2 ton status

First the 502 needs more fuel and second both pressure and volume. I got a bigger pump that should do both /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif but I need to get it out of the tank /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Its like trying to drink a beer out of one of those little straws that they use to mix your coffee with /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. Can Can

I assume your truck is carbed. All you need is 4-6 PSI to keep the sucker running right? So pressure really isn't a problem.

As far as volume goes, have you considered running a larger diameter fuel line? It might solve the problem.

As long as the majority of the fuel system is larger diameter it shouldn't matter if the initial supply line is a bit undersizeed. We deal with issues like this all the time with our gas piping. You would be amazed how much a small distribution system upsize will improve overall pressure/demand requirements.....

Anyhow, sorry I couldn't directly answer the question.

5. toy4fun

toy4fun 1/2 ton status

First off thanks for responding to my question and second Its MPI (502Ramjet) it need 40-60 psi and it does not tell me how much flow that it needs but the first pump that I used did not work /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif (Inline from a Holly MPI 350 system)

6. Can Can

Oh well.......it looks like my help was about as useful as tits on a horse. Hopefully somebody else can help out.

You should get ahold of mj. He knows how to fix everything.

7. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Plumb in some 3 inch mandrel bent tubing. That should carry more than enough fuel for ya. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Seriously though, I would try using some bigger line. You might try to contact the company you got your fuel pump from or maybe where you got your motor from for some recomendations on what size to run.

Kris

8. toy4fun

toy4fun 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the suggestions I have heard about this mj but not had the pleasure of talking to him. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    And I did think of putting In a bigger tube in the sending unit but after pulling it out It may not be as easy as I thought. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif