Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need more muffler suggestions for the 6.2

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 6.2Blazer, Oct 14, 2003.

1. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

One of my mufflers finally let go and now has a couple big rust holes in it. I'm planning on replacing them but can't decide what to get. The current ones were called "Rino" and I got them through Midas probably 7 years ago. I really like the way they sounded, but can't find them listed on the web anywhere.

Anyway, I need some suggestions. I want something with a nice deep tone to it but not exremely obnoxiouis. My first though was a 50-series Flowmaster but would like something a little cheaper.......some of the Turbo mufflers are only like $20 but I don't know what they sound like.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm not sure what they'd sound like on a diesel, but I'm running Dynomax Super Turbos on the 305- they growl nicely when you step on it but are pretty mild while cruising. I'd compare their sound to a slightly toned down Flowmaster 50.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

No Matter what you do, just stay away from a gas type glass pack.
    The diesel type has bigger holes and if you get a regular gas muffler is will plug the holes with soot very fast.
    Now with the baffle type like the flowmasters it's not a problem.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Yep, tried glass packs before. I thought they sounded okay at first but got really ratty sounding pretty quick.

I like the idea of the Flowmasters because they don't have any packing material to fill up with diesel soot, it's just the issue with handing out over a $100 for a pair of mufflers.

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

none...LOL
    I'm taking mine off,LMAO /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yea, and I got a set of Thrush on my rig now. Don't anyone park beside me now. My rig will assault other vehicles. My poor neighbors Jeep eneded up with a 2 foot circle of soot attached to his door the other day /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.
    It seems like they will hold all the soot in till I give it a little or start it up, then it unloads!!

7. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

mine let a big cloud of soot out today. i think i might have scared the person behind me /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif i have a friend who ran cherry bombs on his, they sounded ok for a while. cheap too.

8. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

And if I happen to get a ricer or a Heap behind me I will floor it and leave em in a cloud of smoke, if you don't belive me you can ask the members of the 4xFools. They all stopped at a light and I just HAPPEND to be in front. All I could hear over the CB were people coughing and wheezing! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    And if I happen to get a ricer or a Heap behind me I will floor it and leave em in a cloud of smoke

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I do the same thing.

10. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I have a set of the 70 series Flowmasters on 6.2. Deep throaty sound. sounds like a big block. Go to the flowmaster site and listen to the options. If you've got a good sound hooked to the computer TURN it up!!!

I forgot to mention that I have 3 inch pipe from the manifold back.

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

friend of mine runs pipes only full length on his 82 k10 diesel, higher rpm when readyt o shift ot next gear gets to cackling pretty loud, but part and low throttle is pretty quiet hardly noticeable. and they are big pipes- custom duals front to back