Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need More Power...I think I'm addicted

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by resurrected_jimmy, Jul 14, 2005.

?

What should I build?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2005.
  1. an engine that seems mismatched on paper but performed outstanding on a dyno

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. a 383 that makes decent power but is not quite what I want

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I've tackled most upgrades on my blazer except for engine upgrades. I'm ready to do a real performance build up on a SBC but I'm not sure which way to go. As with any investment I'd like to do this once and get it right. I found an engine recipe that is almost too good to be true on the dyno but on paper the parts seem mismatched. So my question is do I build a SB that has been on a dyno that has a torque curve so fat a diesel would be jelous or do I build a 383 that makes decent power and is well within the limits of popular thinking and theory and be happy with it.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  2. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Build a 383 with a flat torque curve that can put out 450+ lb. ft. torque in the mid 3000 RPM range. May only make 350 HP but who cares with all that low torque!!! I had that in my Blazer I built 5 years ago with 4.56 gears, locked with 35" tires. That thing rocked!! Had a CV rear shaft and lift springs but would still get some nasty wheel hop whenever I smoked them on the street tho... :saweet:

OR go crazy....

Now I have a 73 K20 with a 383 (see a pattern?) thats pushing 450 HP, with big cam, noisy gear drive, aluminum heads, etc. That thing is loud and a beast. Old motor was smoking, so I swapped in the motor from my dead Nova project. It currently has 4.10's with 35" tires but as soon as I get it safe and somewhat reliable enough to drive (it sat for a few years, no longer in DMV system!!) It will have gears, lockers, and probly something closer to 40" tires.
    :woot:

3. Beefcake

Beefcake Registered Member

i'd like to that awesome engine recipe. If it looks that good try it! The worst that could happen is that it could blow up and kill u.

Still would like to see that engine recipe. :D

4. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

i vote you share your recipe with us your K5 brothern i love powe but have gradualy leaned tward tourque side in the low end

as a side note
    a friend of mine just got a rear wheel dyno on his 73 shortbed with 2 d60's and 4.56 gears running 36's he built a I6 292 with some cam he found for pulling well acording to this dyno sheet he brought over the other day he has 571.8ftlbs @ 2800 rpm now this guys not such a good friend i trust everything he says and i havent seen many dyno sheets so it could be fake but i have always belived the gm I6's had great tourque so what do you all think is he pullin a fast one on me?

balzer

5. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

My thoughts on building a motor is build it with good torque and HP is sure to follow along :D

When I build another motor for my truck I want some serious torque for pulling power but also need some good HP for wheel speed in the mud.. My problem is I'm not sure which motor to start with a 355, 383, or a 400 SB :dunno:

6. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

That sounds like a damn good reason to build a hot sbc. Speaking from experience, 383's are overated..... a damn good motor but still overated. Your only talking about a 25-40 ft lb increase in tq from the stroke. If you want low end tq the 383 is the way to go but it won't have a rappy pedal like a 355. My dad had a 383 and it had GOBS of tq but was slow as hell. You can spend roughly 3k and have a FI 400 ft lb 355 that will have about 370 ft lbs of tq at 2000 rpm which is more than plenty. I say go with the 355 if you want to mud it but also want good low end tq. If you have to have that extra 40 ft lbs then go with the 383 but it won't spin the tires as fast as a 355.

7. resurrected_jimmy

How does 570 lbs@4000 rpm and 512 hp@5400rpm sound, they started the dyno pull at 2200rpm and it was already making 507 lbs of torque and 251 hp

me like those numbers :eek1: ........oh and it runs on 91 octane

have a nice diesel killing day :wink1:

8. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

link??? parts list???

9. resurrected_jimmy

I am going to be out in a training area for the next 3-4 days....when I get back I'll post the info for all to see

10. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I didn't know we were talking about $$5k pro stock motors. :D