Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need More Power

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Guest66, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Guest66

Guest66 Registered Member

Hey,
    I have an 84 K5 6.2 diesel with a 4" pro comp suspension lift with 33x12.5or15 pro comp mud terrains and iwas wondering if anyone knew of any pwer boosters i can add that cost less than the Banks sidewinder and stinger kits and add more power than a fuel additive, I have on a K&N filter and have tried additives that work good but it can still use a boost, thanks

If it aint a Chevy dont raise it up

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Open your air up....the stock air intake is bad....I made one out of 4" PVC and noticed a difference right off the bat...
    EGR....plug that line
    Run an additive...helps alot...suggest Stanadyne Performance Formula.

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all!!

3. Guest66

Guest66 Registered Member

Allright, my intake is allready modified a bit but ill try the other stuff a well
    Thanks

If it aint a Chevy dont raise it up

4. carolina custom

carolina custom 1/2 ton status

Get rid of the egr like SK-15 said. I would use a J model Intake and exaust manifold witch flow better and are non-egr. Also go with the biggest exaust you can aford. You could also advance your injection timing a few degres. If you install an EGT gauge you could turn up the fuel a little. Be carful though, after all this you could have saved a good pile of money for the banks sidewinder.

5. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Honestly though guys, these mods dont really do a whole lot. Ive done all these things except the J code intake and its really not much faster or more powerful than when I got it. Turbocharging is the only real way to get a good amount of power out of a diesel. Then you can add more fuel and make it run more like a real diesel. I wouldnt waste my money on real big exhaust cause if you decide to turbo it later then the exhuast will be useless. Or you can get a different diesel like im doing, but thats another story.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

6. carolina custom

carolina custom 1/2 ton status

I totaly agree that a turbo is the only way to go. I didnt mean to give false hopes, just the cheaper options. Most people who buy a turbo spend there money on these mods first, then get a turbo. The exaust, all air cleaner and snorkles mods will be in the trash pile after the turbo install. If cost is an issue, dont spend to much and consentrate on proper engine tune and breathing.

7. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

Try lower gearing. You'll lose out on your fuel mileage, but the truck will feel more powerful.

My blazer surprised me after I first got it when it spun the tires a little taking off from a stoplight. It had old 33s and 4.10 gears and was at low altitude.

Now it has 37s and 4.10 gears and doesn't feel near as strong. That's also partially due to the life-stealing altitude here. Soon to be fixed with the Banks setup sitting in my living room right now.

<font color=red>When in doubt, empty the magazine. </font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/calcide>http://www.geocities.com/calcide</a>
    1983 K5 Blazer Silverado, 6.2L Diesel

8. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Jeremy, your truck looks good with those 37s what size lift do you have?

1984 GMC Jimmy 379 diesel, 700R4, 3.73s, 31x10.50 x 15

9. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

According to the guy I bought it from, the front lift is from swapping out the stock springs for 3/4 ton units. The rear has 4" blocks, and looks like it sits maybe an inch higher than the front. The rest of the lift is by saws-all... I chopped the front fenders as far back as I could. The rear tires are pretty close to the body, but a little more chopping will take care of that.

Thanks for the compliment. I actually bought those 37s for my FJ40, but it's still under construction and the blazer needed new rubber...

<font color=red>When in doubt, empty the magazine. </font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/calcide>http://www.geocities.com/calcide</a>
    1983 K5 Blazer Silverado, 6.2L Diesel