Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need more towing power in the 94' blazer

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by hoppy, Apr 27, 2003.

1. hoppy

hoppy Registered Member

need more towing power in the 94\' blazer

what would you guys do? 94' fullsize blazer 5.7l 350 with 90k on it. what it has.....k&n aircharger assembly and a dynomax exhaust that is needing to be replaced.
    i just got a big dump trailer and she pulls it ok but i know there are things i can do to make it better. where should i start? headers? what are some exhaust reccomendations? also in the market for new shocks.???

2. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Re: need more towing power in the 94\' blazer

Well, I think it depends on how much you want to spend. I would say headers and really any reputable freeflowing exhaust would be good. Your major drawback is your crappy heads. If you want to get some good power you might consider a swap but like I said depends on your budget. Also what sort of gearing do you have now?

3. BlackWidow13

BlackWidow13 Registered Member

Headers will take away low end torque which i am guessing you want for towing. Maybe a throttle body spacer. Dont have any expereince with that but heard it works

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I think the most cost effective thing to do would be to change the gear ratios. You probably have 3.42's, which are pretty good for stock tires....dont know if you have larger ones, but going to 3.73 or 4.11 would help you....maybe someone on here has some 3.73 axles for sale for cheap. otherwise its a lot of money to spend to only change a little, it would be more cost effective to go to 4.11s

5. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

I would have to disagree, the design of the header dictates where it increases power and torque in the rpm range, meaning tubing diamater, primary and collector length. Also a throttle body spacer generally increases power in the upper rpm range because you are adding plenum volumn. Think of a low rise dual plane manifold versus a high rise manifold.

6. BlackWidow13

on the contrary to all of that technical stuff that i dont understand, the less backpressure the less torque, if you have open exhaust you have less torque due to less back pressure, but when you put a more restrictive muffler/ exhaust system on it gives the power back. my .02 i might be wrong but i think i am right /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

You know what they say about opinions... heres mine lol that is a pretty general statement, back pressure is definetly a factor however more does not mean better in terms of torque, if that were the case we all would be switching to the smallest exhaust pipe we could. As I said before proper tuning is the key to more power in any given rpm range. Look at many of the people including myself who have added more free flowing exhaust to there vehicles. I have a 97 Heavy 2500 4x4. Not a light vehicle to move. I have an oversized single exhaust b/c back pressure is a concern regarding torque for towing etc. This setup helped increase my torque and power where I need it most. Duals would have cost me down low to open it up higher up in the range. So as you can see proper tuning is very important. But this is getting somewhat off topic now so I digress.

8. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Just for everyone's info, I've got a 94 blazer too, and the stock tires
    were 265/75R16's, and my gear ratio (and im assuming the rest with stock 265's)
    is 3.73. Just a hint to figure out ur stock tire size, look at the factory spare.
    Gear ratio info is in the glovebox, just search this board for RPO codes.

9. hoppy

hoppy Registered Member

so what are you guys telling me? go with headers? replace my exhaust? replace my gears? i have 265 dunlops on there
    like i said the tailpipe coming out the muffler is filled with holes....would that decrease horsepower? will the throttle body spacer make my intake to high so i cant shut my hood?

10. BlackWidow13

I dont think they would make spacers/ sell them if you couldnt close your hood, i think they are like 1/2" tall maybe, someone correct me if i am wrong

11. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

You can also get your factory tire size off the drivers side door sticker. Just an FYI

12. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Maybe it would be easier to put a chip in the computer?

13. hoppy

hoppy Registered Member

i looked into a chip from superchip. not bad at $199 for a 10-15%hp gain i believe. but the kicker is you have to run high octane at all times. that $$$$$$$$ adds up over a year.
    the chip after the year probably cost you $1,000.
    do all chips require running higher octane fuel?

14. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

It must advance the timing to need the higher octane fuel. They have knock sensors. I bet you could get away with lower octane fuel. The power gain may just be less. I will most likely do this to my truck sometime.

15. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

I got a hypertech stage 2 chip and it said to run the highest octance fuel... But it runs fine on 87 no knock or anything i think all it does is open the fuel injectors more and mabey change the ign. system a little but not much. At WOT is when it really gives you the extra power. I also have a TB spacer and i like it cuz it sounds like a supercharger from like 2-3k rpms. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

16. hoppy

hoppy Registered Member

just bought a helix throttle body spacer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif should be here in a week. it says "up to" 20hp gain. we'll see. hopefully enough to notice. ill keep you posted. i guess a chip will be the next thing.

17. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Probably the computer is pulling out timing when you run the lower octane which keeps it from having detontation however its costing you some power too.

18. 89K1500Chevy

ummm no i already pulled the chip out agin cuz you cant run the scanner on the engine. not real sure if its a good enough mod on a obd 1 com but on an obd 2 it would prob do more good.

19. trailromper

trailromper Registered Member

I would be really interested if the helix power tower really made a difference. I have a K1500 94' blazer and if you like it I will get me one thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. 89K1500Chevy

I take that back i put the chip back in the truck the other day and man the top end is a lot better now i get to 70 much faster but i still stop at 70 cuz the DAMN cat. converter fuking UP big time...