Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need mounting hardware for 37 gal gas tank

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 70~K5, May 23, 2002.

1. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

The mounting hardware for my oversize 37 gal gas tank was rusted solid. I had to remove the tank to install my ORD shackle flip. To get the tank out I had to drill the heads off the long thru bolts. Now I need need bolts and the special tube nuts. Any idea where I can buy these?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Tube nuts?
    I just installed my NWMP tank and I used everyday nuts and bolts. I did put two nuts on the bolt so that the second nut could act as a lock nut!
    awww is that waht you mean by tube nut, A long nut the size of two stacked up???
    anyway I'm sure you could run to OSH and get whatever harware you need to work??

3. Sledge

Sledge Registered Member

Do you have one of the aftermarket tanks secured to the bed floor by long bolts (approx 18") passing vertically through the tank? That's how mine was attatched, the bolts were rusted solid and snapped off during removal. I haven't remounted the tank yet, but am planning on using some carriage bolts (or threaded rod) and some beefy washers and nuts below the tank.

4. Skyetone

Skyetone 1/2 ton status

I'd just go to the hardware store and find you some what 9/16 x 18+ inches and put em on. Did the straps die also? look for a links post by me that carries all the resto places online.

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

The mounting hardware for this aftermarket tank had about 16" long carriage bolts with plates on the top so they won't turn. The "tube nuts" on the bottom of the tank where 2" round washer like things with a 2.5" long tube threaded at the top. The bottom center of the washer end had a 3/8" square opening plus 2 holes in the washer so you could use a pin drive wrench. These allow a close fitted skid plate. Does this make sense?

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Oh..nevermind my post! Sounds like a TOTALY differnt setup than what I have.........

7. Sledge

Sledge Registered Member

Skyetone, there are no straps on this setup. The tank is supported by hanging directly on the bolts which pass through tubes in the tank itself. It's not a common setup as far as I can tell.

8. Sledge

Sledge Registered Member

I honestly don't remember what the nuts looked like, been too long since we pulled the tank. The rest of the mounting sounds like mine though.

Do you know who made your tank? Mines was installed when I bought the truck, no clue who made it.

If you do find an elegant way to remount it, I'd love a description. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Well I put 2 machine screws thru the little holes in the washer end of the tube nuts. Clamped the srews in a vise. Soaked them down with penatrating oil and used a sharp pipe wrench to turn the bolts out. So if I can't find new hardware I could use regular long bolts and have someone tighten with me. 2 of the plates at the top are trashed too. But I'd like to find new tube nuts too. The tank was in the truck when I bought it about 12 years ago. I would guess the tank is 20 years old. But it's still solid and I don't see any reson to replace it unless I put a fuel cell in the bed area. I might do that if I have problems hitting the tank/ skidplate wheeling it. The big tanks hang down real far in the back.