Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need new alt.

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '72brett, Apr 15, 2003.

1. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

I am installing 4-100W driving lights on my Blazer... Now In have factory alt (35amp) I want a new alt (used actually) and I want it to still work with factory ameter and power the lights. What would give me the extra amps... be cheap... not ruin the factory ameter... and fit in the same bracket. The same size as factory alt is VERY important, I relocated the alt and I really want/need to keep it where its at. ANy larger and alt and it would not fit... thank you.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Take your alt to an Auto Electric shop(check the yellow pages) and have them rebuild it with a higher amp out put. Your external regulator will still regulate the voltage just your amps will be higher.
    I did this and the place squezzed out 115amps with heavy duty bearings. It lasted about 5yrs and now I have a one wire 140amp from Powermaster. Bolted right up and is the same size as the stock size.
    Good luck

3. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

You can use any internaly regulated Alt that will fit (IE out of a 78 Firebird w/ a 350). When you install it disconect your regulater and use the red wire that bolts to your old alt. on the new one. You can then tape off or remove the wires that plugged into the regulater. If you don't buy a one wire alt. you can convert the one off the Firebird (I know this aplication works because it's what I used) to a one wire by making a jumper from the #2 spade on the new alt to the same place on the alt that you bolted the red wire to. As far as the gauge it's probably realy a volt meter not an amp meter so yes it will work.

4. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

the factory gauge is a voltmeter? I thught it was an ammeter, but then again, I don't know much about he gauges. With the fact. alt, all I have is a one wire going to it. The resonance magnetism is enough to get it generating power. I will look into finding a new alt out of the firebird as you said. But I know I once read a forum post that said if you had one that generated over 70 amps, it would ruin the factory gauge, is that true?

5. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

6. 6869704x4

6869704x4 Registered Member

7. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

Since we are on the electrical subject, anyone know what size the fuesable link needs to be upgraded to when going to a 63 amp altanator? I just have a 10 gauge wire running from the battery to the junction block on the passenger side fender. It was this way when I got the truck. But it is suposed to be a fuse link and I want to make it right. Not trying to hijack your post! But it may hold info for you to!

8. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

I could swear I edited my post. I went out to look at mine and I have an amp meter. It would be best to change that to a volt meter because amp meters are known to start fires but thats the chance we have to take. But it will still work. I would love to find a matching Speedo, Tach, fuel, volt, oil, and water guage to put in mine for under $200 but good luck with that.

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Keeping the ammeter with a high output alt. is IMO a bad idea. That is just too much current that has to go behind the dash and is a fire waiting to happen.

Look at some of Greg72's pics about his dash. He installed some aftermarket gages into the stock dash and it looks real good. Put a volt meter in there and be done with it. Volt meters give more usefull information about your charging system anyway.