Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need new Box

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1985K20, Feb 25, 2005.

1. 1985K20

1985K20 1/2 ton status

Just wandering what i should do, my side panels are pretty well gone and the "cross members" underneath the box's floor are rusted out.

Now i know i can get the side panels from body shop but what about the complete floor assembly?

Or should i just try to get a good box from a scrapyard?? :confused:

1985 3/4 ton reg. cab. long box

2. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

find yourself a good box off somebodies parts truck, theres lots of them out there.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would get a whole new bed and not deal with the rusted out box. If it is as bad as it sounds it should be cheaper to just get a new box for the truck.

Harley

4. 1985K20

1985K20 1/2 ton status

a new one:shocked: ? I dont know prices but im sure it would'nt be cheap.I might get the fiberglass out:grind:

5. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

I don't think he means as in go buy a whole BRAND NEW bed, I think hes just saying to get a whole nother bed in better shape.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

a common dilema here....

Here in the northeast its hard to find a good rust free bed or cab--they do sell complete tiwan beds for about 800 bucks ,but they're nowhere near as good as the original GM bed....The dealer might still b able to order the crossmember rails under the floor,73-87 pretty much the same...one guy I know used some perforated channel steel called "unistrut" you can buy at home depot to replace the rotted rails under his fleetside bed...they are pretty close to the same dimension as the original,and they were coated with some sort of galvanized coating--I have cheated and used "U" shaped galvanized street sign posts and steel fence posts,they are nearly the same shape and size too--but it wont look factory if looks matter..or you could use square or rectangular tubing...:crazy: