Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need new distributor...what's best?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jdoe, Jan 18, 2004.

1. jdoe

jdoe Registered Member

Need new distributor...what\'s best?

Does any particular parts maker stand out as being the best maker of distributors/ignition system parts, or are all aftermarket parts pretty much the same? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

Re: Need new distributor...what\'s best?

MSD is kick ass stuff, so is Mallory..

try filling out your profile so we know exactly what you're working on.. makes direct suggestions easier.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

This isn't a bad deal if you have a good HEI distributor and want a upgrade. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I'd watch the MSD...I just replaced my Billet dist that was 1 yr old and had 7k miles on it. After I couldnt figure it out I had it to 2 shops and all they could come up with was a bad distributor So they replaced the ignition with stock. Figured my engine is stock so why drop all the cash(again) on something I didn't need.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

6. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I just ordered one through Jeg's for $159.99!
    Proform High Performance HEI Distributor
    100% New Parts!
    These high performance HEI distributor produces a 50,000 volt spark through 7500 rpm, offers true spark alignment for instantaneous voltage response, a high performance advance curve, plus a high performance coil and cap with brass terminals. Also includes a low-saturation ignition module for maximum spark intensity and high output coil.
    Bill

7. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

If the MSD distributor you were having problems with was a MSD Billet or a MSD Pro-Billet then it is likely the reason it wasn't working properly is those two distributors are ment to be used with MSD 6,7, or 8 series ignitions. These are all capasative discharge systems (CD) which fire two times for each cylinder provideing a more complete burn. If you were using one of these distributors without the CD ignition box it would definatly cause problems.

In my new Summit there is a new Mallory Aluminum distributor with all the features of the Proform mentioned abouve but made by Mallory. The summit part # is MAA-8548201C for 159.88 or 132.95 without the coil.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Wow, looks like "stock" starts to really fall apart at 4,000RPM. I bet all the racers I know that turn 6000+ on the stock HEI could really wake their motors up! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Whatever they use as "stock" in that comparison is probably off of a model t, because no stock GM HEI dies off that fast.

9. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Not sticking up for either of you, but there are more desireable factory parts and modules that can help the HEI.

Still a good ignition on it's own....

10. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I've been using a Summit HEI for about 4.5 years now. I paid $150 back then and it has worked flawlessly with my MSD 6AL. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif