Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need New Engine for 85 K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by df, May 10, 2004.

1. df

df Registered Member

85 needs reasonable replacement for tired old 305. Need more power but reasonable $$. Should I replace the carb as well?

thx

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Just get a simple crate 350 or a stock replacement . Its a lot of fun to build one yourself, but a crate engine is easier. Perhaps some upgrades for durability such as double roller timing chain. Is your carb running well? If it is and you can't do injection, leave it be. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you are looking for "reasonable", then you might consider a rebuilt 2-bolt main 350 because they cost about the same as a rebuilt 305. That extra 45 (actually more because the rebuilt engine will be bored out more from the stock 350 displacement) cubic inches will add a few more ponies under the hood, and everything from the exhaust and intake manifolds to the accessory brackets will bolt right on to it.

You can rebuild the carburetor yourself. The one big problem with many old Q-Jet carburetors is the throttle shaft bore on them tend to wear out, and most carburetor rebuild shops do not bother to drill and install a throttle shaft bushing kit in them. One of the symptoms of a worn out throttle shaft bore is if the throttle sticks open a little, thus causing the engine to idle too high. Another symptom is a vacuum leak right at the base carburetor

4. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

stock replacement crate 350 without intake, carb, distributor (all can be used from the 305) is right around 1200.00 and comes with a 50k mile warranty... tough to beat that.

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yea, 2-bolt main Target 350's crate engines are pretty cheap because they are made in Mexico, but will be better than a tired old 305 any day.

6. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

7. 84mudmachine

84mudmachine 1/2 ton status

I had a new crate Gm 350, and the head cracked on me with less than 1,000 miles on it. It was put in by an individual (non certified), and GM would only cover parts. I would not buy another GM crate engine again after the trouble I had to go through to get them to cover the head. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. df

df Registered Member

Hey mud,

Who has to install for it to be GM certified?

thx

9. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

We put a GM 350 long block in my wifes 93 Suburban last fall. I called the GM dealers in the county. Pricing ranged from 1900 bucks to 2500 bucks for the same long block! So I picked up the $1900 one, factory warranty, we switched over the accessories, used the skip loader to set it in. You probably want to purchase a new water pump,(GM), and a new offoad trick carb. I suggest this because it will clearly be an improvement to a tired 305, it's reliable, and you don't indicate that you are looking for more than 220 hp. Good Luck. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. df

df Registered Member

Thx Burb,

What kind of carb specifically?

11. 84mudmachine

84mudmachine 1/2 ton status

An ASE Certified Tech, if not they will not cover labor.

12. smartpatrol

smartpatrol Registered Member

I would go visit the junkyard and pull an older Q-Jet and rebuild it. I am not convinced yet that the $400 "Off-Road" carbs are any better than a good old Quadra jet. I just installed a rebuilt carb on my Cad 500 in my blazer and it ran flawlessly this past week in moab.