Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need new engine help...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by StageZ, Jan 29, 2002.

1. StageZ

StageZ Registered Member

I just built a 383 stroker from scratch... every part on her is new, torqed to spec and all the clearances platigated 3 times... Unfortunately, because of the 400 crank, I cant use a timing gun... I set the timing by checking vacuum and setting it at its highest reading... I am having two problems... one, the temp seems to warm up quick and run right next to hot... and second, she is REAL choppy when at low RPM... I have to rev her if she drops below 1300. if I don't, she will stall... Is this normal for a new engine? I am running a MSD 6a and the spark seems clean and my old edelbrock 600 from my old 350... I opened the choke using a tie-strap so I wouldn't run too rich on break-in... would that cause a choppy idle?I am not using a radical cam and she seems to run fine at 1500 + RPMs... If you guys could give me any suggestions it would be much appreciated... thanks in advance...

2. kilroy

kilroy Registered Member

May be to advanced, is it also hard starting? try retarding it 5 Deg or so and see if it improves.