Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need new front shaft.....suggestions on where and cheapest route?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by twenty_below0, Aug 27, 2002.

1. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

OK as i'm sure some of you know I live in Alaska so running down to the local driveline shop is not an option. My slip yoke in the front has alot of slack side to side so I need to replace it with a tight used one or new one preferably the whole shaft, (th350 with 203 to a 10 bolt) So where to get this and how much....anyone have one they have replaced with a custom shaft? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif <font color="blue"> </font color>

2. twenty_below0

No body has any info here????? /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

they say that slack like that is normal. hell, i thought the same thing so i just got an extra shaft and carry it with me

NITRO

4. twenty_below0

Really?? Mine has about 1/4" side to side I drive it in 4hi for about 5 mo. here (winter) and want to be sure it's ok I think it's causing some vibes.....maybe not though???

5. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

try takin it apart at the slip joint and see if the splines and everything look alright. then look at ur u-joints. im pretty sure thats what it would prolly b. one of mine need replacing too and its just a matter of time till i get off my bum and change it. but hell, ill just run it till it breaks

NITRO

6. twenty_below0

I wish /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif but I had it apart about 6 weeks ago and everything looked good splines not twisted but worn, Joints are all tight and good, slack is in the slip joint....which sucks!! So does ANYONE know where to buy this online and have it shipped for a reasonable price or even a rebuilt one with new slip yoke and splines? a dollar figure to consider would sure be appreciated?

7. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

Do you want good or cheap? Jess

8. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Around here in Denver you can have new splines put on for about $100.00. If it has a 1/4 inch side to side then it is on its last leg. Do the splines have flat areas over 1/16 wide on top or do they come to a point? If they come to a point then they are toast and will eventually spin inside themselves at the worst possible time. If you dont have a driveline place in your town you could buy a new one cheaper than you could ship that one to be repaired. Then just keep it as a spare. Englewood driveshaft (303) 781-0554 would make you one reasonably here in Denver and ship it to you. He is a hell of a guy. I dont know if you have a Saginaw or Spicer type flange. If you have a yoke on your T-case then measure center U-joint to center U-joint, if you have a flange type measure from face of flange to center of U-joint. Tell him which type you have, the measurement and in a few days you will have one. I actually have his front as a spare and his rear for both spare and full use. My full use front came from Jesse at High Angle and is great, but pricey for just road use when you dont have a whole lot of angle involved.

9. twenty_below0

Reasonable is what I would like and though you do very good work I dont have 400.00 to drop on a drive line at this time.So could you give me your price for a new shaft for my k5 and I will see what i can do, it's a 78 with the 4 bolt flange to a 203 has a cv joint right off the flange.I'm sure you have seen hundreds of these, I dont need a shaft rated to 1&amp;1/2 tons just a good one for normal use, This is my weekend warrior rig for now and a daily driver as well.thx e-mail me with some prices please!