Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need new gear advice

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by XHitman396, Oct 22, 2002.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

in the past i had no idea on the gears of my stock 87 wit da 208 and 10 bolts, but when i was under there changing the u-joints, there was this little metal disc that says it was re-geared to 261 gears on the X-fer case.. from what i hear this sucks cuz u need a big herd of horses under the herd to power these sufficiently with 35's (in the future). first question: can a stock 350 w/ np208 t-case with 261 gears and stock 10 bolts power 35s in mud, no rocks. and two: how much/hard would it be to switch these out to lower gears, what would you suggest, daily driver, how much would new gears be if i installed em, if i had someone else install them?? thanks in advance...

2. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think what you are looking at is the low range ratio of the t-case witch is 2.6:1 on a NP208. Chekc the diff convers for a tag or pull the cover and on teh ring gear is 2 numbers, divide the first by the second and you will get your ratio. Gears swaps are someone entailing but more or less time consumming and trial and error. I found it easier/ cheaper to upgrade to 3/4 ton axles and got 4.10s that way and alot more stegth

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

That plate on the tcase shows the gearing of the low side in the tcase not in the axles. You dont want to mess with changing the gears in a tcase. WMS will go 3:1 in a 203 for $1000 and they are coming out with 3:1 in a 205 that will run $700 or so.

As for the gears in the axles, this is what I did. I took the axles out of the truck and stripped then down. I bought the gears and install kit then took it to the cheapest place in town. They charged me $200 in labor for a D44 and $90 in labor for a 14FF. So the gears were $160, install kit $100 or so, then add in labor.

They wanted $400 labor if I pulled the truck in and they did the gears with the axles on the truck.

4. Texas84K5

Texas84K5 Registered Member

I just did a gear change and I believe that the largest ratio you can go to on the stock axle is a 4.10. I would recommend at least a 4.10 or greater. I would like more off the line strength (btw I had a 350 built for it and I don't have any of the smog or cats on it)