Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need new gears for the 10 bolt, just a couple need to knows

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Mar 4, 2003.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

My 10 bolt front end curently has aset of 3.73's and an open diff. I need to get iether 4.09's, 4.10's, or 4.11's. So my qustions are, will gears for a rear 10 bolt work for the front? will I need a nez carier? Also I still need to find the gears so if anyone reads this and has stuff they wanna sell for cheap let me know. thanks a bunch /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

yes, the gears will fit either the front or the rear. no you shouldnt need a new carrier, yes spend the money to have them professionaly installed. not to doubt your ability, this is just one of those things best left to the pros

3. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I've got a new set of Richmonds still in the box.Part # is 69-0165-1.Will take $100 plus shipping.I bought them about 4 years ago for a Blazer I was working on and sold it before I found a rear to match.Also have complete 10B with 2.73s cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Forgot,,the carrier is same for all 10B ratios /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

I just finished this...as of today...front and rear the same, carrier will work, and having them proffesionally installed is the answer...all said and done, complete front and rear including all new except the housings, got them used from junkyard, including labor and lockers, brakes, hubs, etc...I'm at 1600.00 give or take a hair... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif, also, going from 3.73 I'm not sure you will tell much of a difference to 4.10's, might wanna consider 4.56...I went 3.73 to 4.56 and am very pleased... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Well here is the reason behins the move. I got my self a pick-up that didnt have a lift on it. It is 3/4 ton. So A freind had a suburban he was parting out that had a 6" lift on it . It too was 3/4 ton. but the front axel on it was bent. We knew for a fack that it had 4.10's in it and i thought mine pick-up did too. So to make the lift swap go quiker we just decded to take the lift out with the rear end in order to save time and work. but in the front i had to keep my origanal axel which i thought had the 4.10's in but didnt. so i now have suberban rear axel (4.10)and pickup front axel(thoughht to be 4.10 but actually 3.73) So im just trying to even out the deal . How confusing was that?!?!?!Man I suck at explaining things!!! sorry but thanks a bunch!

7. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a good deal.All you need to do is some wrench work and be set to go. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

All cariers are not the same. They is a split in them, but you only run into it in cars. The split is 2.56 and numerically lower, and 2.73 and numerically higher. So, you will not need a new cariers. I always reccomed new gears, because you can never set gears up the same way twice, and pay a trained person to install them.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Now about this hole profesional install deal, Sence they are going in the front and I only have 33 inch tires. Can I just set the gears up close and just make sure they spin easy but dont have exesive play in them??? Or is this a totaly bad idea?

10. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Now about this hole profesional install deal, Sence they are going in the front and I only have 33 inch tires. Can I just set the gears up close and just make sure they spin easy but dont have exesive play in them??? Or is this a totaly bad idea? by the way my truck has the 205 and manual hubs so its not like the gears would be spining all the time