Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need new Ideas for tool storage in k5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GEORGIA GABE, Nov 27, 2005.

1. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

I currently have a snapon clamshell top box mounted in the rear. I thought it would work well. It doesnt. I have to move so much crap out of the way to get it open. I am thinking about building a new lockable rear box that would have alot of better acess. I also dont want to loose the rear seat. I need to mount my two new optimas somewhere as well, so I am considering mounting them inside the new box... Id just like some input from those of you who have "been there done that"
    thanks.
    gabe

ps here is where the current box is now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Got this medical supply box from a surplus store cheap. It's bolted through the bed, plates on the underside of the bed to spread force. Fits behind the rear seat, tho I don't use the seat much. storage box

Here's what the setup looks like now, with the rear seat out: now

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

If you plan on loosing the rear seat I might have something to help out. I saw a K5 that was set up for hunting. No rear seat, no carpet, but a rubber mat instead. Anyhow, the area behind the front seats where the floor is lower than the "bed" area would be an ideal place to put a box. This particular K5 had one made of 3/4 in marine grade plywood cut to fit the space like it was made to go there. The lid could be made hinge any way you desire. The box had a lip about halfway up that was made to put sliding shelves on, similar to a toolbox for the bed of a truck. He used it to put guns in, but it could easily be used for whatever. Also, what about some of those wheelwell tool boxes you always see on trucks? One facing forward, one aft? Just another thought. I think that "in the bed box" is really wild. Might have to look into that for myself. Somewhat secret too.

Kris

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

big ammo can, 4 bolts, 2 u-bolts, 2 pad locks and some drilled holes. Presto, locking, water proof, secure storage. Doesn't take up much tub-space either. The ones I used to run (and will again when the body mods are done...) are about 8" wide, 20" long and 20" tall. Pretty sure I have a better pic in webshots, but here is a so-so one...

[​IMG]

I don't run a rear seat... but the same boxes mounted a foot further to the rear would allow for a rear seat and be easier to access from the rear end too.

j