Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need New Ignition Advice

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillyBob, Dec 16, 2000.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Allrighty. I've decided it's time for an ignition.. I'm tired of having the engine almost not turn over in the morning when it's 20 degrees out. The question is, what ignition should I get? I was thinking the MSD 6-off road.. along with the over-rev controler and some kinda distributor.. unsure of what kind though. I could really use some help here.

[​IMG]

http://billybob.coloradok5.com
    It's all fun 'n games, till someone gets stuck.

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I like the MSD series of Electronic Ignition compenents. The MSD-6 offroad is great. it has some of the feature durablity found in the MSD 7 for racing. I would look into getting the blaster coil as well, its almost bomb proof. When you install the unit put it up high and dry and mount it on the vibration dampner bolts they have or make one out of a sheet vulcanized rubber matting( heat tolerant). Jacobs also has a nice set-up with these features too, its just too pricey.

3. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

I'd recomend MSD like you mentioned. Have had real good luck with them in the past and plan to use them in the future. They have excellent tec support & help you out in any way they can. Had an MSD 6 Offraod box in my last truck and it did wonders. Improved the cold starts and throttle response drasticly, plan to put one in the blazer as soon as funds allow. Haven't personally used Jacobs products, but have heard less than raving reviews. Stick with MSD and you'll be one happy customer. - Jay

4. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

im running the jacobs omni magnun system. i know alot of guys on this site have bad opinions of jacobs but ive been runnig it for over a year and have had noting go wrong with it. my gas milage went from 12 -14 mpg i picked up 10-15hp and 15-20 ft/lb plus its starts easyier, so i havent flooded it. thats just my 2 cents though

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I used to have a MSD and it was great. My stock distributor fried it though, but I plan for another one in the future when I'm a lot less broke.

90K5

6. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Make sure you use regular old fashioned copper plugs. All those fancy Splitfire/Bosche/platinum/high temp/multi spark/multi prong/etc plugs don't jive with the aftermarket ignition boxes because they were designed to use regular plugs.
    Look into the MSD distributors, they are pretty expensive, but I've heard great reviews from people who use them.
    All I've got so far is the MSD GM TBI coil and a set of 8.5mm Super Conductor wires, and they are high quality stuff. I'm going to slowly build the whole system up.
    Hope this helps.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's[​IMG]