Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need new steering box...replace stock of get 2wd and do crossover

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TheBlazerKid, Feb 24, 2003.

1. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

Heres what im faced with... I need a new power steering box on my 71 K5, I dont know wether I should just get a rebuilt 4x4 box and fix it like that... or should I get a 2wd box and go ahead and go to crossover. how much more will ti cost to go to crossover? I only have a 4" lift right now but plan to go to about 10" suspension eventually. what are your guys' takes on this?????? thanx in adavnce!

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

What axles are you running? If you are running a 10 or 44 up front, I don't think it would be cost effective to go with crossover right now. If you have a 60, that is a different story.

Costs of xover:
    Steering arms - roughly $100 no matter where you get them. Need one for pure xover, 2 for hi-steer.
    Drag link - Another $100-150 or so for a new drag link and appropriate ends.
    Dropped pitman arm - I used the Superlift 1104. It was around $40
    2WD box - got my from a yard for $75. I also went with WTO Redneck Ram so iw asn't concerned about the condition of the box. Yours may run a little more if it needs a rebuild or has been recently rebuilt.

Other options would include:
    Tie rod - if going to hi-steer at the same time. I got my tie rod and drag link complete with new HD ends and everything from Parts Mike for $260.
    Ram assist - If you a CK5 member, you can get a complete rebuild of your 2WD box with a Stage 2 setup for $400.

Or, just rebuild your 4WD box and plan all this at a later time! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif