Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need new tires soon, any suggestions?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tuskadero, Apr 11, 2001.

1. Tuskadero

Tuskadero Registered Member

Hello everyone, I was looking at my tires the other day and there almost shot. At the moment I have BFG 35's Mudders and I was wondering from everyone elses expertese what they prefer. I'm also looking for any deals on tires if anyone knows where they are thanks, Heather

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Some guys are running the Pro-Comp ones and they are having a special buy 3 get the 4th free. Might wanna check that out....lots of folks have super swampers too and seem to like em. When I can afford new tires it's between them and Dick Cepek ones. I like the Cepeks but I know lots on here don't. Just a matter of taste I suppose! [​IMG]

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    "What if the hokey pokey is what it's all about?"

3. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Hi Heather, welcome to the board..prepare to become ONE with the cult. You'll be hooked in NO time. What kinda driving are we talking about...daily commuting, or just the weekend fun ride? Strictly hard-core trails and mud?..etc. The more info on how you use your blazer, the better we can use our knowlege to help.

"Why YES!..the Fast-lane was built just for YOU!! Because we all needed someone to drive slow and screw up traffic!!!!"

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I have had:
    BFG All-Terrian's
    BFG Mud-Terrian's
    Super Swamper SSR's
    So far I like the SSR's the best..
    I am also looking for new tires soon...Depending on how much $$$ I have I want to get another set of SSR's..I like the Procomp Mud's with the 3 for 1 deal that's pretty sweet!

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda</A>

5. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I have run:
    BFG Mud Terrains
    Goodyear MT
    Friend had BFG All Terrains

All terrains wore good, but didn't work in mud at all
    other two work good in mud, but got muuuuch more miles out of the BFGs. I think you already have one of the best all around tires. I haven't run the tsl or swampers tho'.

[​IMG]

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I have 35" ProComp MT's ready to go on my truck as soon as I install my lift. I was going to go BFG MT's, but then I rode in a bud's J$$p with Pro Comps... wow. The sipping was pretty decent on the wet pavement and they were pretty quiet as far a a MT goes, but we'll see if they grow louder as the BFG's do as they wear. Also competes top notch offroad and look cool too... combined w/ a buy 3 get one free... I figured worth a shot. Still love swampers and the Baja claws on the trails, but they just seem to melt on the street (as well as make a bit of noise LOL).

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

7. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I just upgraded to Swampers, dont recomend them for a daily driver, but before that i had General Grabber MTs, 35x12.50, they lasted, no joke, @ 42,000 miles and i could still probably get 3-4,000 out of them. They ride pretty well, and they are cheap, @ $125 a piece, just take any ad into americas tire and they'll match it. Oh hey you're in so cal I still have them on 15x10's if you want to givem a whirl we can stick'em on your rig, any way let us know if you have any more questions.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

8. childs

childs Registered Member

I bought a subsidairy of cooper called the Durango. It has a fairly open lug, well sipped, excellent tread life, and quiet on the road. They are not name brand tires but work well. I played a couple of shops and got even a better deal. Its cousin is the Cooper Discovorer. They are a tire I have been well pleased with although I wished they looked more aggressive. I paid $80 a piece for 35/12.50r15. That price comes with a little patience and compitition. They are a great all-around tire but I did get stuck in the mud the other day (but nothing would have helped short of a winch). Over all, for the money I would do them again. If you are looking for name brands, be prepared to spend more money. The other tire that is really really good is the goodyear MTR. I am not a goodyear fan, but they seemed to have gotten it right with this tire. I have not owned a set but my friend does and he really likes them. I have talked to others who own them and noone has been disappointed. The "MT" part of the name stands for mud- terra. and the "R" indicates the reinforced sidewalls (like the 3 ply BFG). The SSR's are loud, slick, have a short life, and on the pavement they will rattle out your dental work.

DE k5

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I have used BFG M/Ts and General APs (an A/T) on my 80. My new truck has Wild Country M/Ts (same tread as the General M/T) Of the three I like the BFG M/T best for a street/trail compormise.
    Your profile said you were looking for a club. You might want to check this out: http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com

10. mrspureinsanity

mrspureinsanity 1/2 ton status

I have Swampers on my Blazer now, but when it's time for new ones I am going with Ground Hawgs. The Hawgs last longer on the highway. I drive mine on the road daily.

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I like Big O Big foot XT tires. they are very tough and I got over 40000 miles on my last set. I do a lot of wheeling on very rocky ground and miles of mud and they haven't failed me yet. I'v owned both Goodyear and Goodrich mud terrains and I think the Big O is a better tire. JMHO

12. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I bought the procomp 33x12.50x15. M/T. Buy 3 get the 4th free. Tried them out in some mud a couple of weeks ago. And I love them. They handle on the street well to. Not sure yet how long they'll LAST....

[​IMG]

13. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Where in CA are you? There's a new K5 club for the Sacramento area just started up.....if you are local might wanna look them up! [​IMG]

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    "What if the hokey pokey is what it's all about?"

14. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I am on my second set of 35" BFG Muds, I think they are one of the best all around tires you can get! They wear great, are quiet on the road, have great traction on rocks and are tough as nails in the nasty stuff. I also had Cepek Mud Countrys a long time ago, they were pretty good off road, but got very noisy and "lumpy" (they vibrated a lot at slow speeds - that got old real quick).

Anyways, I think you already have the best all around tire! And one other thing, if you are gonna be around on the weekend of May 5-6, we have a group going out to Los Coyotes to do some wheeling. We would love to meet a fellow K5er from So Cal if you can make it! Shoot me a personal email or take a look at the "Los Coyotes" post for more info!

Keith

15. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

I LOVE my BFG Mudders. I just wish they made them in a 37 12.5 15. mayeb someday....later

[​IMG]