Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED new tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazd88, Aug 29, 2004.

1. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

Just trying to get some opinions on what my hard earned money should go to. I HAVE to get new tires just need to decide whats the best for my money. Looking for a good daily driver tire but that will take me anywhere i want to go. Also tire size 35? 36? 37? thanx

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Keep the 35 size. BFG MT is a good, all-around tire that has respectable road manners, yet works great off-road. I've been running them for the last 7 years and don't plan on trading for a long time.

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

If your looking for a good on road tire that will get you pretty much anywhere you want to go offroad, I highly recommend the Goodyear MT/R's. You can get them in either the 35" or 37" size. I recommend the 37's. They handle and ride nicely on the road without a lot of noise, and they perform great offroad too. In my opinion, they give very good traction in the mud, and excellent traction in the rocks. They are also very durable and have a puncture resistant compound that allows them to be very durable in the rocks. This is what I am running right now, and will be my next set of tires too.
    -Harrison

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I bought 36" Ground Hawg's for a tire that'll last for years.

5. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If your looking for a good on road tire that will get you pretty much anywhere you want to go offroad, I highly recommend the Goodyear MT/R's. You can get them in either the 35" or 37" size. I recommend the 37's. They handle and ride nicely on the road without a lot of noise, and they perform great offroad too. In my opinion, they give very good traction in the mud, and excellent traction in the rocks. They are also very durable and have a puncture resistant compound that allows them to be very durable in the rocks. This is what I am running right now, and will be my next set of tires too.
    -Harrison

[/ QUOTE ]
    ya those are exactly what i was thinking so i went to order some and supposedly they are on national back order for like a month. But on the other hand i can get four with warranty for 840$ /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

also i know that that the thornbirds kinda suck but what if its a good deal? is it worth it? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

thornbirds=no!

8. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    also i know that that the thornbirds kinda suck but what if its a good deal? is it worth it? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

37" MTR's can be very hard to come by sometimes. That is the downfall to the 37" size. 35" are available every day of the week.

I really like my MTR's. They are a great all around tire. I had BFG AT's and they are a good DD/light trail tire. I had BFG MT's. They are a little more aggressive and are a good tire too. I now have MTR's and love them. They will be staying on my truck for a long time. The only thing I might trade them for is a bigger MTR. They aren't the greatest mud tire but they do ok with some wheel spin but they do very well in the rocks. They aren't terribly load on the road either which is nice.

Harley

10. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

BFG Mud Terrains are excellent tires. I have a set of General Grabber MT's that I like, only $120 each at Nebraska Tire. I bought mine on ebay for $440 for a set of four 35's.

11. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Mtr's are a popular choice for a good all around tire. I have 35" mtr's. What drivetrain are you running. If it is 1/2 ton stick with 35's. If you are 3/4 ton I would say bump to 37's or 38's. I like the Iroks, they are a good rock tire.

12. PROFESSORSK5

PROFESSORSK5 Registered Member

I just baught some 36x13.50x16.5 IROKS for my DD they do make a little noise but not that bad. Man do they look good. I did have BFG AT and they last a long time, but do not do well on rocks and look stupid. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif