Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need new Transmission. Any suggestions?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cameron/82Jimmy, Jun 2, 2000.

1. Cameron/82Jimmy

Cameron/82Jimmy Registered Member

Well...uh......got up today started ol' yeller and well heard a funky sound. (clue right there) Put her in drive and she wouldn'd shift to second. On the way home she quit...pushed her home with some help looked and transmission fluid was all over the place. Sad. Took it to a shop they said that was the worst 3 sp. they had ever seen. So I am shooting for a 4 or 5 speed this time around. Thanks for any help. Don't know much about transmissions. have a 350 engine.

Cameron Burnett
    1982 Jimmy 4x4

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

5-speeds aren't available in an automatic. A 700r4 is your overdrive tranny alternative, but there may be some conflict with reinstalling your transfer case....I'm not sure. Your best bet might be to stay with your 3-speed, but if fuel mileage is a concern, you may want to opt for the 700r4. Keep in mind that a 350 tranny will be a lot cheaper, and is also a lot tougher overall.

3. Check out this place http://www.700r4.com

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

4. BigBadBowTie

BigBadBowTie 1/2 ton status

5. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Best thing I ever did was swap my 700r4 for a turbo 400. I lost overdrive, but I gained a whole lot of ego! heheh

Good luck !

6. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    Stay with the T350 [​IMG] it would take forever for the fuel savings from a 700R to make up for the difference in price.
    You can get a fresh rebuilt T350 for about $275
    add a heavy duty torque converter $100
    add the biggest tranny cooler you can fit $60
    B&M 3extra quart "ALUMINUM" tranny pan $100.
    You do all this and you will never need another tranny[​IMG] If money is tight just get the tranny and torque converter to get you "back on the road again" and add the cooler and pan when the $$$ is available[​IMG]
    A T400 Is stronger but it will steal power away from your small block.(not a big deal with a bigblock[​IMG])