Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need NP203 shifter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by whiteiron, Nov 7, 2006.

1. whiteiron

whiteiron Registered Member

Can't get into 4 lo. Shifter just wont go the last mile. I can get it in from underneath. Just need the shifter not the linkage. Any help?

2. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

you tried adjusting it? i know whe i had a 203 it took a good kick to get it shifted, but it did the trick lol

3. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

have you tried rocking the truck back and forth while trying to shift it? i had to do that sometimes on my old one.

if you wanna spend the money, you can twin stick it. Makes things alot easier for finding what gear your in. www.offroaddesign.com

4. whiteiron

I've tried just about everything from inside the truck and adjusting the linkage according to the spec sheet. The shifter just doesnt go far enough to kick in.

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Here's the thing about those shifters...

They have a lot of moving parts with surfaces that are supposed to slide past each other. I can tell you now that yours are all rusted up, and probably not working correctly.

Remove it, take it apart (it's not difficult at all), clean up the parts with a wire wheel or something, throw copius amounts of grease in there, and reassemble it. You can make it work again if you try. They probably wouldn't ever quit working in the first place if they had provisions for periodic lubrication.

6. whiteiron

The reason I haven't taken it apart before is reading the thread on this very issue where a guy took it apart and couldn't get it back together. No one could provide a glimpse of the inside of the shifter so that he could reassemble. It was in that thread that I got the diagram for linkage adjustment. I can still drive and get 4 hi so my thinking now is before I dissassemble I'd like to have a plan B .... a back up shifter.

7. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well....take it apart slowly and take pictures. Keep the pieces organized and it shouldn't be too hard.

8. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

I have 2 of them. Both came off of working trucks.

9. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Take it apart and clean it really good. If you cant figure out how it goes back together let me know and you can have one of these for the price of shipping and a box.

10. whiteiron

Thanks for the offer. I sent you a PM.