Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need nv4500 throwout bearing info - odd

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crawlink5, Dec 4, 2005.

1. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

The part of the pilot shaft housing where the throwout bearing rides is too big by about .050. I tried an sm465 TO bearing and a 94 chevy 1 ton bearing but they won't slide on. They were the same size.

I'm assuming (until now) that the 94 1 ton had a nv4500. The sizes of the two bearings were identical, but with the 1 ton having a plastic carrier.

Has anyone seen this? Oddball housing from a single year? Have a part number for the throwout bearing? What year should I try? Should they use the same bearing?

Thanks
    Doug

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

What bellhousing? Is it truly from a '94 Chevy?

I ask because in '96 they switched to the telescopic/hydraulic TO bearing (i.e. no fork) and the bearing retainer changed too.

Dodge may also have a different bearing retainer considering they used different sized input shafts. (Just in case it may have been assembled from a mix-match of parts.)

3. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

I don't know what year it came out of. I am using a hyd sm465 bellhousing mated directly to the nv4500.

I can't seem to find a TO bearing to fit the input housing where it slips over the shaft. Do you know if the input housing changed with the TO change in '96?

I tried a dodge bearing and it was way off different. The dodge bearing was way too big.

I know the input shaft is chevy and the pilot bearing and clutch disc fit correctly. Also the shaft length is correct whereas the doge is 1" longer.

4. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

I'll add that the TO bearing that I looked at for the dodge could have been for a Getrag - I wouldn't know

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I'm curious how you did that.

That's what I'm saying. ;)

You will have to see if older bearing retainer will bolt on - if it even has the same bolt pattern. Or see if there is enough material to have it turned down to the size you need.

6. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

That's the easy part. The center hole in the Bellhousing is machined a little bigger to fit the nv4500. Then put the BH on the trans and mark where the bolts need to go through (the marks will be on the front face of the nv). Then drill and tap the holes in the NV. the bolts will go through from the inside of the bellhousing and screw into the trans.

Or do like I did and let Wayne at GearTechHD.com do it right.

I did find that I have this input housing (Dodge NV4500 Standard Duty 1.43" )

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

That is a key point... the 91-95 Chevy NV4500 (or at least its bearing retainer) fits the center hole in SM465 bellhousing as-is.

I like your method. Up until now I hadn't heard of anybody actually doing it that way.

So will the Dodge TO bearing work? I wonder if that Dodge input-housing/bearing-retainer is Dodge specific, or if GM adopted its use for '96+ :thinking: I would stay away from the telescopic TO setup if you can... it's a shoddy setup that burns out a lot of clutches.

8. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

Dodge bearings won't work on a chevy fork. Getting a housing to fit. The newer chevy housings don't fit (i think). If the newer one doesn't fit then just machine it down and then machine the hole bigger.

But mating it to a chevy bellhousing is no problem.

I also have the np205 mated with no adapter. Shorter the better.

I bought it from Wayne at www.geartechHD.com , he does great work and will take care of his customers.