Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need oil pressure readings...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lowlevell, Nov 8, 2001.

1. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

I need some feedback from you guys/girls, I need to know what your oil pressure is at idle and average off idle pressure.Recently mine has dropped from the mark between 30 and 60, and is now at 30(idle), and 35(off idle). My truck has recently turned over 200,000 miles too. Please let me know what your average pressure and mileage is on your engine, thanks.
    89' burb (almost 3/4 ton) 350 TBI, 700r4

P.S. The readings i need are for after the engine is warmed up.

One From None

2. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

My motors have made or do make 30 at idle, and no less than 45 off idle. You still have good pressure but I would be concerned about a sudden change. Did you change type of filter, oil weight, oil mfg etc recently? Do you have any odd noises or smoking??

3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

my new 454 puts out 55 at idle, and about 80 when running. my K20 with its ancient 350 only puts out about 10 PSI at idle, and about 45 when cold, and 30 when warm. (strait 30 in the 454, and 20w50 in the K2o's 350... I live in Arizona, and that watery crap you guys call 10w40 just doesn't cut it when its 110+ outside...) I figgure the engine is either ancinet with worn mains, slopy because its really a racecar engine with loose mains, or has a worn oil pump in it. I plan to replace the oil pump soon here, and hopefully that will increase my flow from nothing at idle.

if your pressure dropped suddenly, I'd look into it. if your pump is going, then you can replace that easily, and check your mains at the same time.

good luck,
    -Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

4. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I had a similar problem with my Burb...turned out to be that damn FRAM I used just because it was in my garage and it saved me a trip.

NEVERMORE...and my pressure sits at 30 or a touch below at idle, a little above 30 off-idle. That worthless filter dropped it down to 15 off-idle.

The learning curve is a toll road...ride with someone who has already paid!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/abshort1>U.S.S. Nimitz II</a>

5. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

My 350 TBI with 115K on it has 40 psi cold idle and almost 50 cold off idle. But when it is warmed up to temp, 20 in drive when hot, and 35ish when driving, If I just get off the highway after doing 65+ for a while, and come to a stop, the pressure will be 15. I have a mechanical autometer guage so these are accurate. I use 10W-40 oil and the factory GM filters.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I have 30 on idle, and about 45 driving. Pretty stock 350 with 150K on it

90K5

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

The old man's '89 with a crate motor that has less than 1,000 miles on it does 60 on the cold mornings. 45 around town, and 15-20 at idle.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

8. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

No smoking, every once in great while a lifter will stick. No abnormal noises. I did use a fram oil filter this time, i usually dont use fram.Looks like most of you guys are in the same pressure range as me.Thanks for the feed back. Gonna use diff. filter next time.

The Burb also has a factory oil cooler on it.

One From None

9. Predator

Predator 1/2 ton status

Ditto Blazer Boy's pressures for me on a rebuild with less than 300 miles.

My K5 Buildup: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/gettin_deep>http://www.geocities.com/gettin_deep</a>

10. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

Did the pressure change happen with the oil and filter change? If so, I would change the filter soon.
    Good luck,
    Mike