Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need opinion: Detroit in front w/ ram assist steering?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TX Mudder, Jan 10, 2003.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have long thought about a detroit for the front, but am concerned about the lack of steering that people report.
    Would the ram-assist help in this department?
    I don't want to have to run an ARB or really anything other than a detroit, but I'm not sure about rgw drawbacks offroad.
    -- Mike

2. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

I am in the middle of rebuilding my 60 now and I was wondering the same thing. Later

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Front is locked up with 39.5's and its a pain to steer on hard packed dirt. Mud and sand and snow and anything loose, its fine. I dont want to talk about the Moab trip, that sucked to steer, I am planning on the West Texas setup this year.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I have my front locked with a Lock-Rite insert (very beefy in a D60) which is much like the Detroit. You'll have no trouble steering with a hydro assist. I have the West Texas setup and I can steer with one finger as long as I have pressure. I have one of the older 2" rams and my pump can't keep up with hydro-boost brakes AND hydro-assist. I have to hold rpms over 1000 to keep everything working right. I'm working on that. The newer, smaller ram should not have that problem, especially if you don't have hydro-boost. The only problem that remains with a locked front, if you have hydro-assist, is that you have a bit of under-steer (you turn, truck wants to go straight even with the tires turned) on some types of terrain (especially when, as is typical, you have the rear locked too). All in all it's not a problem and I have no desire to change mine. If I were given an ARB for free, I doubt I would go to the trouble or $$$ to install it, unless I were going to a lower gear anyway...

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The drawbacks offroad in my opinion are nothing compared to the benifits. I noticed a huge difference when I locked up the front. Well worth it to me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif