Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need opinion on this k5

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by noisepollution, Oct 18, 2001.

1. noisepollution

noisepollution Newbie

ok so i went to look at a 71 cst. nice looking rig but heres the problems. 8 inch lift 4in body and 4in springs with blocks in the back. power steering is way too sensitive i mean just a little turn and it shoots across the street, the whole thing vibrates on takeoff, it has 4:56 gears in the rear and he's running 33" tires so they spin alot and freeway speeds are nonexistent. he has the front tc unhooked because the gears dont match (kinda wierd but ok) it has abuilt 305 in it, needs body work, so should i buy it or should i let it go? i'm seeing at least 2k or more just to get it driveable. any suggestions?

thanks
    keith

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

W/ that many things jerry rigged I would worry what else is wrong w/ it. Was the 305 a typo? If you could get it for real cheep and don't mind doing the work go for it.

The main question is what shape is the body in. Everything else on these trucks are easy and cheep to come by.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Let it go, 4" blocks is way too much that's part of your shuddering your getting, 4" body lift is just obserd if you ask me. So both of those are going to be costly and time consuming along with the gearing in the front being replaced.

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

If you can get it for 1500 or so then TOW it home and rip out that suspension &amp; body lift then put in a 4" 4spring lift with a 3" body lift get the gearratios to match new drive shafts proly some steering corrections like a steering shaft and such.....and like stated before who knows what else......
    Hummmmm seams like a SH!T load of work!!
    but hey it can be done..

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

5. noisepollution

noisepollution Newbie

the 305 was not a typo. i'm gonna go look at it again this weekend. i think i might let this one pass me by though. theres also a nice one in sacramento but thats a 7 hour drive just to look at it so i'm not sure if anyone knows of someone wanting to sell a 1969-1973 blazer drop me a PM. the only good thing about this rig is all the extras hes throwing in, highjack, 350 hi performance engine, 2 38" tires (the other two are shot) two doors, a soft top, 2nd set of buckets, and some other things. but who knows i'll find one i like

6. 72GMCJIMMY

72GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

There is a 71 in the Auto Weekly, I don't know how close it is to you.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.autoweeklyink.com/>http://www.autoweeklyink.com/</a>

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Depending on where you live, even the 1st Gen's aren't that hard to find....

I know I had PLENTY to choose from, but they were on the expensive side. You need to decide how much you are willing to spend TOTAL, and that will determine whether you buy someone else's completed K5, or a basket case and do all the repairs yourself.

It is a proven fact that doing it yourself will ALWAYS cost more than buying someone else's project. Those always seem to be sold at a huge loss, so you generally can get a better deal overall that way.

As a data point, the really rough-looking 1st Gen K5s around here are going for $3000 - $5000, middle range could be anywhere from $5000 - 7500, and the nice ones go up from there..... of course that's CA, and we seem to have to pay more for everything here! [​IMG]

-Greg72

8. frito

frito Registered Member

well i guess i must have gotten lucky.... i got my 71 in SO san francisco (im in fremont CA) for 1500 its had alot of repair work done to it rust wise its rocker boxes are 100% soild though no rust though it was missing the rear seat and drivers door panel but other wise 100 working primered grey and some green with a white top in great conditon ... the window frame is quite rusted out though... but the best part is that it has a fresh 350 in it (when i got it less than 100 miles) the guy i got it from bought the truck for 1500 for the brand new motor for his camaro but then got a big block and the guy he bought the truck from was an engine builder in newark (next to fremont) and my truck had a big block he wanted so he bought the truck for "parts" and 5 years later decided to put a 350 he had just built in it and sell the truck for 1500 bux =-) i guess i got damn lucky cuz at the time i was just looking for a blazer for 1500 ish (any year) and saw this one in trader online and bought it the next day =)

9. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

The availability of First Gen K-5's and Jimmy's goes up and down a lot around here (Seattle). They are quite pricey here too. I feel pretty lucky to have purchased my 69 for $4000. It has little to no rust and is in pretty good mechanical shape (lots of electrical issues though). I have seen a lot advertised in worse shape for a lot more than I paid. Every now and then you'll see a really nice one for sale for a good price. Rust is a huge issue up here with all the moisture but at least they don't salt the roads.

Keep and eye on the Trader online. I got a jump on mine since it was advertised online two days before the printed book came out. The guy wasn't expecting calls until the next Sunday!

'69 K-5/350/TH350/35's & 6" Lift