Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need opinions and ideas for possible floor heating

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bad_bo_ti, Dec 20, 2005.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

so i am getting my house built and have been thinking of doing the hydronic, under the floor concrete heating, i have researched some and have found some places say to insulate the whole thing then put the tubing down and others say insulate 8feet around the perimeter and then lay the tubing down so the middle acts as a heat sink, and some places say no insulation, i dont know what to do or if i am even going to do it, what do you guys think. thanks, chris

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am no expert at all, but we just built a new house and used radiant floor heating. We insulated the edges, then poured over that. Then built up and installed the in floor heat(wasn't around for that process to let you know how it was). I think dad said he has something like 15,000 into it(I really don't know), seems like a lot but when you consider the cost of setting up a normal forced air setup I guess its not really bad. Last I heard, he felt the rooms with carpet weren't getting enough of the heat out of the floor(large chunk of the house is tile and hardwood). He was going to have the guy who did most of the work come back and try to figure it out.

3. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

thanks for the repsonse, i forgot to add that most places on the net are saying to use the thin foil radiant insulation but people i talk to locally that have done it used styrofoam board. i thought about just putting insulation down and no radiant heat, but i dont know how much warmth i will have the floor over a regular slab. thanks again chris

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

We used styrofoam

5. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I don't know what they used but it worked great a garage that I would visit every once and awhile

6. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Sorry I've been so busy but I can anwser any of your questions.
    My son is back in the hospital and I just got home. He's OK and in
    good hands. I haven't been on here much since my move but I'm working my way back.
    ANYWAY! yes, I use 2" blue board under all my slabs.
    After you lay it down, you lay flat wire mesh down. Watch out or bend any sharp corners or cuts down.
    You can then lay the tubing down and use rebar type ties to wire it down. Get a twisty tool to make life easy.
    The best ones (ties) are the type from plumbing wholesale Co.'s as they aren't as stiff. Be careful on what tube you use as there are some bad ones still out there. That's about all I have time for right now.
    Here is a couple sites to check out:
    http://www.ipexinc.com/
    http://www.wirsbo.com
    Remember, always use a pex tubing with an oxigen barrier.
    In-floor systems should be designed not to exceed 140F
    All infloor systems should be 2 temperature systems, 180F for baseboard/garage unit heaters/heating your domestic hot water tank and the infloor side of the system is 140F or less.
    I'll try to put some pictures up when I can.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you put the plumbing IN the slab? We put it on top of the slap. Built the house up a slight bit.

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Seeing as I have never lived anywhere near cold enough to warrant any heating like this, this is what I have seen on Home Time:D . Everytime they installed radiant floor heating the plumbin was always laid first then the slab was poured to encompase all of the heating lines inside the slab. I would think it would allow for better heat dispersion.

Ira

9. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

well as of right now i think all i will do is just the styrofoam board, i dont think i will have enough to do the pex tubing too. anybody have any ideas what, say, 1/2in 3/4in and 1in foam will do as far as concrete temp from a normal slab

10. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

well i took the plunge, went ahead and ordered my pex tubing, i got a great deal on some 3/4 styrofoam insulation too so i am going all out, other than getting a heat source for the tubing.

11. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    3/4" isn't much insulation and I know it's hard to spend the money on 2" blue board but the better insulation you have, the less it will cost you to operate the system. You will also have a problem with stepping on the 3/4 and not just breaking it into peices unless you spend the time to make sure the ground is really level & flat. Good luck to you and don't forget to have a heatloss calc done by the supplier selling you the tube and parts, it's free.

12. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

when i helped install the radant in floor heating at my old work, the foundation walls were insulated with 2" ridged foam, and the gravel was covered with a layer of 2" foam as well, then 6" wire mesh sheats, then we zip tied the tubeing to the mesh spaced 12" apart, floor was pourd directly ontop and the mesh was NOT pulled up into the fllor just left on the bottom, works great heated a 3000sqft shop awsome, just sucked when we had to open the big over head door to drive in and out it would take a lttle while to warm up again.

also with the system off the building did stay quite warm for 3 or 4 days depending on the weather

13. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

appreciate the feedback, i know 2in is required/recommended heck i have read on the internet for basement installs some people insulate 8ft in from the walls and leave the middle uninsulated, they say the middle absorbs a lot of heat then levels out and acts as a heat sink. dont know how true it is though but i didnt want to try it either. heck i even have heard of people using actual styrofoam white board and even using the fanfold 4x50 sheets. i will have to contact the company for a heat loss calc.