Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need opinions on 37" Swamper SSR's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Need opinions on 37\" Swamper SSR\'s

Right now I really want a set of (37 X 12.50 X 15) Super Swampers on some 15x10 steel rims. Is anyone running the 37" SSR's ??? How do you like them ??? What can you tell me about them good or bad ??? How much fender trimming will be needed with my 6" lift ??? What would be the best gears to use with these tires and a TH350 transmission ??? Anyone got a pic of a K5 with these tires and a 6" lift ???

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Re: Need opinions on 37\" Swamper SSR\'s

Well they handle good on the street,not too loud,stick well to rocks,flex well when aired down,and they balance good.

But the outer tread blocks come off easily.Almost every one of the outer tread blocks has deep cracks around the base and is either missing small chunks or most of the lug.Steve Fox's 37s are the same as mine but worse so I know its not just me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think it has something to do with the compound of the tread because I dont see this happening in the smaller sizes.

I wish I would have got 37" MTRs

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Any pics ??? Whats the MTR's ??? I don't know a whole hella lot about tires. I just want some aggressive tires that are good for trails in the forest and good for on the highway. I want 37's for some odd reason. Think they'll look good on the K5.

4. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

A guy up here had 37" SSR's on his fullsize Dodge and Hated them, runs fullon swampers now, but anyways here's the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's I've heard nothing but praise for the MT/R from others that run them.

5. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

I'll reiterate what the others said , the outer blocks rip off easily when wheeling , I was wooried at first but doesn't seem to affect the tire too much , I think they balance terrible 8-12 oz????? then as soon as you wheel with them and rip 2 oz chuncks off of them the balance is gone , they drive like a wet noodle on road , not very predictable at all ,compared to an mtr goodyear or a bfg mt/ko , I will be going with 38" parnelli jones tires , they also make a 37x12.5 , just kind of pricey , best bang for your buck is DEFINATELY MT/R's.....JMO...........CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif [​IMG]

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

How much are the MT/Rs in the 37" size running?
    -- Mike

7. DaveCowley

DaveCowley 1/2 ton status

Myself, I haven't heard too much good about the SSR's but a buddy of mine runs the MTR's, he got em new for like $188.00 a tire and they have good road characteristics. Good in the rocks, decent in snow, nothing like a swamper in the mud though. I'm a big fan of TSL Radials. They are smooth on the road but loud and they whoop anything offroad. I think that the outside diameter on a 36 inch TSL Radial is about the same as an MTR, something like 36.8 inches. Just an FYI or a heads up.

Dave Cowley