Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need opinions on 4WPW in Plano, TX...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Lotsa_Faith, May 27, 2002.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

Anybody dealt with the store in PLANO install wise? I have heard mixed reviews about 4 Wheel Parts stores all over the country, but im wondering about the one in plano, TX. Please don't tell me your horror story of a 4WPW unless its the one in plano. thanx guys, oh and by the way i need to know cause my friend is gettin some ford torsion bar keys (hill leveling kit) put on his '00 Z71.

2. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

dude go to rats racing behind Texas instruments,they have a built396 blazer w/ 1ton gear.

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Tht 4WP isn't too bad, not everyone there knows what they are doing though. I have a friend who is an installer there and he does't know anything about trucks...that store hasn't done anything to piss me off though

4. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Go to the Fort Worth store and talk to Jason Tout. Personal friend and very intelligent. Installers are good and do nice work.

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have never used them for installation stuff. The good, knowledgeable sales people they had are now gone. I would go with Bryan's suggestion and use Jason at the FW store. HE knows his stuff.

What are you trying to install? We have enough people around here, maybe we can help you do it yourself.

6. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

"oh and by the way i need to know
    cause my friend is gettin some ford torsion bar keys (hill leveling kit) put on his '00 Z71. "

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I also have never used Plano, and wouldn't because when I purchased my tires and wheels, Plano failed to return two phone calls. I used the FW store, Jason is a good guy and will do right by you.

8. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

I am more of a do it mayself kida guy one becuase I want to say "I did it" second I'm have not found any wealthy realatives to buddy up with third haven't found a "sugar Momma" yet and I know my wife would NOT appreciate that.
    But to your question, I have bought from the downtown Dallas store before and they have sold me and tried to sell me more parts that I do not need, the times I have been to the Plano store they have more that courteous and sold me exactly what I asked for and nothing more, not to mention the strong arm sales technique that I have experienced at the Downtown Dallas store.
    Personally I deal with the Plano store before I will go back to the Dallas store.
    JMO.

9. Lotsa_Faith

Well...who around Mckinney can and would be willing to help us replace the torsion bar key's on an IFS truck? I know that you need a torsion bar puller, anybody got one around here? anybody USED one before? I don't especially like the thought of flying tb keys goin through the floorboard or my head, so maybe if i found someone whose done it to help us out...

10. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

I have heard good things about the Off Road Shop in Dallas off of Plano Rd.
    They specialize in installing lifts and such as well as doing the shafts at the same time.
    Never used them myself but you might want to check them out.
    As far as pulling the torsion bars I have no experience, but there is no better teacher than doing it wrong the first time, that I can attest to!

11. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

After I posted "what are you installing" I re-read your post and saw it. That is something I have no experience with. I would be willing to help if you found someone with some know-how.

12. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I helped a friend put a lift on his Explorer (yeah, I know) last week, and it said we needed some torsion bar keys. We just used a wrench and turned them up a little bit. Don't know if thats how your truck is, but its worth a try...thats how ya learn

13. Lotsa_Faith

Here are the instructions for replacing the keys...

OK, the tools you will need are a wrench and socket of course for the T-bar bolts, a jack and two jack stands, and a GM Torsion bar unloading tool or a 2-jaw gear puller. Some have said you can use some sort of C-clamp also, I used the 2-jaw gear puller on my truck.

First- Set the parking brake and jack the front end up off of the ground. Not much, just enough to get the tires off the ground.

Second- Turn the torsion bar adjustment bolts down all the way till the keys are resting on the block that the bolts go through. You can go ahead and remove the bolts.

Third- You will see a dimple in the key where you can position the gear puller so you can push the key off of the block. Make sure you have the gear puller clamped to the crossmember very well!!! If you do not and it slings off you could get hurt very bad. If you have any doubt about it not staying on good when you have the pressure on it, try tying a string or a small bungee to the gear puller in case it does sling off. This will break the momentum if it does sling off.

Fourth- Turn the gear puller so that it pushes the key up off of the block that the bolt went through. Once it is far enough up remove the block by pushing it out of the hole. Now you can turn the gear puller so that it will let the keys back down. After you let them down enough there will be no more pressure on the t-bars. You can now slide the t-bars toward the front of the truck and the keys should fall out.

Fifth- All you have to do now is replace the old keys with the new Ford or "Hill" keys. Putting them back on should be simple after taking them off.

ANybody think they could make sense of that and would be willing to help me and my friend out?