Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need opinions on 95-98 Tahoe from those that know.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76chevy, May 13, 2002.

1. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Well, the family is growing and will no longer fit in the beast. I'm thinking of getting a 4 door 95 to 98 Tahoe/Yukon. I need your opinions and answers. Probably only minamal offroading, mainly to haul people and the dog.

I posted this in the other forum but I thought I'd probably get more answers here.

1. Are these dependable rigs?

2. What transmissions do they have and what kind of life do you get out of them.

3. What is the difference in the engines with the older vs newer.

4. What year did the dash change to the nicer dash?

5. Are there optional rear seats for these to sit 7 passengers on occasion?

6. What major maintanence is needed for 80,000 to 100,000 miles.

7. What kind of gas milage. 12/16?

Thank you.

2. Mr. Jimmy

Mr. Jimmy Registered Member

I have owned a 94 GMC Yukon and 96 Z-71. I feel that the 87-90 GM is a better drivetrain, but this is just my opinion. I didn't like the knock from the 96 Z-71 on startup after engine was warm and am partial to the 700 R4 vs the 4L60 trans although the Vortec engine is stronger.

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

My brother had a 99 Yukon 4dr, and it was an awesome family hauler! The Vortec motors (started in 96 I think) are the only way to go, they flat out haul *ss and should last a long time. His had the 4L60E and he never had any problems with it (and he drives like a maniac, let me tell you!) If there is anyone that can get a truck to break, it is my older brother! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif He did have a problem with the output shaft on the AutoTrac transfer case, and for some reason a lot of the California trucks kept having issues with the fuel injectors not liking the gas additives we use here - he had like three sets of injectors replaced because of it...other than that, it was a really solid truck - it towed real well, hauled a lot of camping gear and got decent mileage for how hard he drove it...you should be able to get anywhere from 14-18mpg if you drive it sanely...especially on long cruises.

The new interior I think started with the 96s, but don't quote me on that...and they never offered a third row seat option until the '00 models came out. It seats 5 adults comfortably enough...

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>The new interior started in 95 but that year still had the tbi system introduced in 87. Vortec multiport started in 96

5. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies, those are exactly what I'm looking for. It soundl like I want a 96 and up. Is there a way to tell from looking at the engine if it is a vortec or not?

I'm looking for a hauler to take camping and to haul people around town. The 5 seats are o.k. I was just hoping they had the 3rd seat option incase we needed to through some kids in the back.

The gas milage sounds great since I'm getting about 8mpg now. I'm just don't want to have to drop a tranny in one after a year.

Are there any other things to look for?

6. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

It should say "Vortec" on it, and you will see that it has injectors on each port (hence the "multiport") instead of the TBI unit doing all the fuel work...

7. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a 99 Tahoe with 76K on it and have no complaints. My wife drives it mostly. Love the power and ride. The third seat was not available on the Tahoes until the new body style change in 2000. I wish mine had the third seat. Mileage is about 14 around town to 17-20 on the highway

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

They are good trucks. It depends on what you consider nicer as far as the dash goes...i'm guessing the later ones? For some reason I like the earlier ones. It will say Vortec on the engine if it has one, or if for some reason you are too lazy to open the hood, the 95's are the only ones with the new dash and no passenger air bag, and they will have TBI. Sounds like your looking for a 96-99 though.

9. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Again,

Thank you for the replies. I know almost nothing about the 95-99 trucks. I just know I want to stay with GM. I hope my questions weren't too dumb. Reading through the post I can see how the questions were vague and my spelling was so bad it probably threw some of you off.

From what I've read, I definately want to go 96 to 99.