Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need opinions on air-intake

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Derf00, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Now that my engine swap is complet, I am not totally satisfied with my airfilter set-up. Taking into consideration I will soon have a cowl-induction hood, what are some other options other than the open element, or stock set-up? I am presently running an open element, but change to stock if I off-road and know I will be in water or mud.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My *opinion* on the subject of air intakes is pretty simple. There are few, if ANY on this board who can suck more air than the 750 or 800CFM Q-jet can provide.

Anyone that is good with math, calculate possible airflow through a 2"x4" opening, which is what a stock '81-up gas setup is at its narrowest. (I think the only stock setup worth using is the '81 up ducted snorkel)

I think open air cleaners are a waste. Once again, if your motor can flow more than the stock air cleaner setup can, then you might need one. Don't forget, you are sucking in hot engine air, and not having my Roe book here which states this, its (I believe) an average of 1HP lost per every 10* increase in inlet air temp. An engine bay can easily reach 120+* with ambient temps of 80*.

No offense, but if the cowl isn't functional, its worthless. A well sealed, functional cowl hood (forcing cold, clean air into the engine) is awesome, but a hole in the back of the hood that you can look in, for the sake of looking, is pointless. Thats a low pressure zone, and engine heat will NOT escape there while moving.

You guys that run in deep mud and water, I can understand your problems with the stock or open filter setup. I might consider turning the stock snorkel around, and mounting a flange on the cowl, where the windshield wiper mechanism is hidden. I'd imagine this would be a GREAT place to take in air, and it would be fairly safe from water coming over the hood.

There was a time that I thought the more air the better, but the simple fact is, if the engine can't use it, and its not cold, you are wasting your time.

Now if this doesn't generate some replies.... : )

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Dorian,

Thanks for your input, I knew if you answered my post I would have some good info. You have convinced me to put the stock air cleaner back on and the duct to the front to p/u some cooler air.

With respect to the cowl hood, I know that if it functions, the cowl induction can be an awsome setup.

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

You seem to be the guy to ask.. I put a front clip from an 89 Jimmy on my 84 pickup. Where did the Jimmy get its air from? There are no holes in the core support. I had both front fenders (the passenger side one is on my truck now) but there was no sign of ductwork going to a fender.

I admit to it, I don't have a clue. I've been running without a tube since March when I put the front clip on. I'd really like to be sucking in some cold air during the summer so any help would be appreciated.

I also took some pictures this morning in case they can help you. http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicles/images/84k10/underhood-080302/

Thanks
    -Brian

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Along side of the radiator. They have some wierdo long tube deal that runs down the side of the rad where those little holes are at in the support on the passenger's side.

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Well, at least now I know what those holes are there for and why they didn't put the coolant reservoir there.

I have the Jimmy's reservoir somewhere, where did they put it? I forget. I can't put it on the driver side where the battery tray is because I put a battery tray (waiting for batteries to go on sale so I can put a second one in my truck) there.

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

8. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

They put it in on the passenger side wheel well. I think they started that in '85 or so. I refitted my '83 shortbox to the new style, much easier to work with.

9. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Very nice, that is what I am looking for. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

So that must be why they moved the jack to the other side, eh? I moved my jack to the driver's side but I kept my puke tank under the battery tray on the passenger's side. Someday I had planned on putting a small toolbox on the passenger side wheelwell.

I guess I'll have to figure out my own induction system. 89-91 Blazers/Jimmys are few and far between around here and there are none in any of the local junkyards that I'm aware of.

Thanks

11. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

or u guys could do what i did....make a snorkle for it. it works awesome and also acts as a forced induction system. its a pretty sweet setup. and it didnt cost me a thing cause its built not bought.

NITRO

12. stump_puller

stump_puller 1/2 ton status

Got pics of your snorkle setup?

13. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

yea, ill post in a few hours

NITRO

14. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

here is the addy to my sit with the pics.

http://www.geocities.com/yz80foxracer/snorkle.html

The pipe is 4" PVC painted black and to bend it, i just used a propane torch. this turned out so perfect. o yea, the silver pipe is dryer hose, and the 90* bend that goes into the quarter panel is corrugated gutter pipe. i also have chicken wire and a special filter to catch mud and water. i will b puttin in a T pipe to catch all the water. ill keep u guys updated when i get finished.

NITRO