Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need opinions on blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MOBK5, Nov 17, 2005.

1. MOBK5

MOBK5 1/2 ton status

Ok, there is this later 1980's blazer for sale down the road. Its got a 6.2L, 700r4, and Im guessing a 208. The body and paint are mint, like showroom mint. A grandpa truck I guess.

The thing is, the guys wife got it hot one day, and blew the head gaskets. He tells me he got new gaskets and heads?

Its drives like it just came off the dealership, 4x4 works, super clean interior, a/c and heat. I just dont know about getting those engines hot. Ive heard bad things about over heating these and having problems from then on.

He wants $3300.

2. 350k5

350k5 1/2 ton status

Similar thing Happend to my K5 on the old engine. It overheated just a little bit one day, and a few weeks later after an interstate drive I blew a head gasket. Would of been about 600 to replace them, but there were some other issues so I just went with a new engine.

For this truck, if he replaced the head gaskets and the Heads I would say you are in pretty good shape. Then again who really could know the extent of the damage done from his wife overheating it. It could of run for 5 minutes or a half hour while overheating, theres really know way to tell. Best bet is to drive it yourself and see how it runs, does the engine seem tired or does it have a lot of power?

$3300 for a mint condition Blazer that may or may not have some overheating/engine issues down the line seems like a fair deal to me. I would say as long as you don't let it overheat and keep it well maintianed you'll be ok. Just really depends on what you want to do with the truck. Judging from your description this will prbably be a nice DD, so I say go for it... actualy... you better at leat try and talk him down to below 3000, I don't think that would be too hard considering. Good luck.

Another thing, why is he selling it? Did he just have the work done and now he's selling it? Whats the reason behind it, make sure you ask him about that. If he fixed it and is now getting rid of it I would say be a little weary, and use that to talk him down.

3. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Get it. Period. Engines are a dime a dozen, bodies are hard to come by.

4. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

Um...all 6.2's feel "tired"....they felt that way off the showroom floor.

The 6.2 bottom end is very stout, however, and it's unlikely that he damaged the bottom end by overheating it. I had an '83 K5 with a 6.2 that a friend overheated thanks to the cracked heads (a common problem). My assumption being that (like most 6.2's) the heads cracked a little and it ran low on coolant, the dimwit wife didn't pay attention to the temp gauge and overheated it real bad, causing the heads to crack REALLY BAD and the headgaskets to come apart.

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Fyi, there's a nice mid-80's K5 on Lakeside Dr for sale with $4k on the windshield. :wink1:

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

sounds familiar..

I saw an 85 Jimmy with an 8' fisher plow and a 6.2 on craiglist the other day,it had a collant leak and the guy just parked it and bought another truck--claims he never overheated it,nor did he even bother to look under the hood to see why it started leaking--could be just a popped hose,freeze plug,etc!--claims its not rotted either,just some "minor" rust,very solid for its age.. :laugh:

He's asking 850 bucks for it--I asked if he'd trade my 79 C10 for it,but he just wants it out of his yard,and doesn't want any trucks!--said 3 people already plan to go look it over saturday..I bet it sells fast! :mad: ..I'd much rather have another diesel plow truck sitting in my yard than my C10!,especially another K5,which is much better for plowing,and getting groceries!..wish someone would buy my C10!..but I should just sell it,and buy nothing else..its too expensive keeping 3 vehicles running,insured,and registered.. :( :crazy:

7. MOBK5

MOBK5 1/2 ton status

Thats the one. I talked him down to 3300, but I decieded to keep my 82 and toughen it up, then get a better DD down the road.

Thanks for all the replies guys.