Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need opinions on lifts.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Derf00, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I need to get the new lift ordered for our '90 Jimmy and am having a difficult time deciding on what to do for rear springs. I have found a local BDS dealer who will give me a fair price on the parts I need.

My original intent was to go with a 6" front springs and 2 or 3" rear springs and a shackle flip. BDS does not make a rear spring smaller than 4". So my options appear to be a 6" all spring lift, 6" front 4" rear, and a 2.5" shackle flip or 6" BDS fronts and some other brand 2 - 3" rears. We don't do rocks, mostly mud and trails, but would like to keep it versitle. We are going to run 37" SSr's on 16X10 wheels.

Any thoughts?

Derf00

"A WISE MONKEY NEVER MONKEYS WITH ANOTHER MONKEY'S MONKEY."

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would get the 6" BDS fronts, and the 4" rear BDS springs, and do a 2.5" shackle flip. Most Blazers sag a little in the rear, and the extra 1/2 inch would eliminate that sag. If the rear was a little to high for your liking you could always add ORD 1/2 inch extended front shackles to lift the front a little.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt recomend the shackle flip if you do mud. The shackle flip gives you alot of articulation which you dont need in mud, and causes alot of axle rap. I would recomend a set of tuff country 6" springs. Really soft and will give you the lift you need and still keep it soft. Also if you want to tow anything the springs would be a better way to go. Or you can use the BDS springs.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree with the above.

If it was me, I'd just use a 2" block. A 2" block isn't that bad IMO, and a 4" flip with a 2" block would leave you open to future options (in other words, you can run the 4" springs later if you want for an 8" lift if that's what you want).

I just always try not to bury too much money into a suspension setup because I constantly think about changing it. I screwed up this time though because I spent too much on my 4" kit and now I want 6" or 8".

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

How does the shackle flip contribute to axlewrap?

Maybe it's just more compared to stiffer lift springs?

Still Poundin' "pavment" after all these years!!! [​IMG]

6. 85GMCJimmy

85GMCJimmy Registered Member

I have a BDS suspension that is a 2.5 inch lift, and i have rear springs for my kit that are 2.5 lift

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I have a buddy with a shackle flip on his 84 blazer, and under hard throtle it causes bad axle rap to the point it has fallen out once before, and when he was at the truckin nationals he snapped the rear drive shaft from axle rap.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

8. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Shawn id running the same combo, 6" bds up front and 4" flip out back, i think his solution was to take the set of 4" bds rear springs and cut the overload till it was more like a 0 rate add-a-leaf. he cut the overload spring almost immediately after it leaves the perch, this gave him like 3-ish inches of lift plus the 4" flip for 7" total. This is close to the front since he has 6" BDS springs and the dana 60 perches for something around 7". Pm him for more exact info.

-matt
    <font color=blue>86, 350, 33's</font color=blue><font color=red>Lop Sop Doi Off-Road</font color=red>
    www.chevyhedk5.tripod.com

9. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Wow looks like my pm hit things on the head from most directions [​IMG]. I agree with DD though... unless all you do is rocks for the most part and some trails that require flex I would just get an all spring lift. The flip won't be that bad in mud, but definetly won't help any. I have seen plenty of all spring rigs flex very well and it would be much cheaper (especially considering most likely you will have to run a CV rear driveshaft in the rear). Another aspect to look at is what are you doing w/ the shocks? If you really want to flex like the flip can you'll want to relocate the rears and go for the Ford towers up front, otherwise even with the flip you will be held up by the shock travel. Just my $.02

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>