Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need opinions on Super Swamper TSL,IROK, andThornbird tires.........

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kickinasphalt, May 22, 2004.

1. kickinasphalt

kickinasphalt Registered Member

Ordered my lift, have my rims, time for tires. I've been looking at Super Swamper TSL,IROK,and Thornbird tires because they are within my price range. This pickup is not a daily driver but will see highway/gravel often. Since I live in North Dakota, there is snow on the ground 11 months out of the year so I need a tire that works descent in that stuff. Will hit be in the mud too overcouse. I believe all three of these tires are bias and I have no experience with that kind of tire. What are the disadvantages with bias tires? If someone can help me out with this stuff (since I'm pretty new to off-road tires) that would be great. Thanks!

2. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

seems nobody like thornbirds, I've never had them but never seen anyone happy with them either.
    The TSL is a good tire same with the irok. Bias ply wear quicker than a radial and tend to handle worse on the highway.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

The thornbirds don't do well. There treads get packed with snow or mud so they don't have traction and can't clean. Bias are tougher and tend to get flat spots after sitting for a while. They handle rougher on-road, but are better off-road. I have heard alot of good things about the TSL's and the IROK's so the choice is yours. I'd recommend TSL's more for mud, and IROK's more for trails and rocks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Stay away from the TSL and especially the Thornbird. The thornbird is a worthless tire that can't seem to be manufactured in round and has terrible traction offroad and especially mud. The TSL is a great tire but since you are up there in snow I would want a tire with good siping. The IROK would probably work well because I THINK they come siped but they do wear fast. If it was me I would probably get the SSR. Wears great for what it is, cleans suprisingly well in the mud, and has good wet road manners.

5. kickinasphalt

kickinasphalt Registered Member

Those SSR's look like a good tire ($186 a piece though). Sounds like radial tire would be better for my use, just don't know if I want to spend that much more.

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

don't get the stuckbirds /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif i had 38in tsl's and they did great on the trails mud snow and sand /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i now have 40in Iroks and i like them way better than the tsl's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif they ride smoother and are much quieter than the tsl's they do awesome in mud and sand haven't been able to try them in the snow yet /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif but they are sipped so I'm sure the will do even better than the tsl's did /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif the tsl's i got 35,000 out of them by running the air pressure at 23psi on the street about 12psi on the trails and about 6-8psi in the sand /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i have around 5,000 on my Iroks and you can barley tell they are worn at all i run them at 23psi on the street as well /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

*ahem*

YOU CAN SIPE ANY TIRE IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH PATIENCE AND A CARPET KNIFE

*cough*

Siping is the super coolest., I will have an article on it and other things on ORC on the 1st of June

If you need to know sooner just ask

Oh and I ran 36" TSL Radials and 38" TSL Bias, radial rode great, bias ridelike stone turds, both are good off road, and after I siped both, they work GREAT in snow and ice.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

judging by what i've heard, i'll take a nice case of herpes over a set of thornbirds.

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    judging by what i've heard, i'll take a nice case of herpes over a set of thornbirds.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'd take the tires!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Good luck with that. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

10. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

For highway/gravel/snow and the occasional mud hole, I would recommend none of the tires mentioned. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Something more along the lines of the BFG All-Terrain would be a better choice for that kind of driving. Aggresssive mud tires wear out FAST when driven on the road. The All-Terrains work well in the highway/gravel/snow part of the equation and will get you through all but the very nastiest mud. They also last considerably longer than most mud-oriented tires. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    [​IMG]

14. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

What size are you going to be running?

15. ryanvz1

ryanvz1 Registered Member

I would run thornbirds before all-terrains, all terrains are the worst thing ever created, I would rather have street tires than all-terrains. If you have to go with all-terrain go with the X-terrain.

16. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

If you sipe a BFG MT or the like, it's now an actual all around AT

AT = Street tire

As for the STS's, I've heard no good, very bad, terrible, horrible things about them