Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need opinions on Swamper SX's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigk, Jun 17, 2001.

1. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Need opinions on Swamper SX\'s

My K5 isn't a daily driver, but I'd still like to travel in it. Would the better choice be SSR's or SX's? I like the SX's because they seem to be awful tough and I hate tearing up tires, but I've never owned a set. How are their highway manners?

2. xtreme_wlr

xtreme_wlr 1/2 ton status

Re: Need opinions on Swamper SX\'s

Highway manners are just fine. I have a set on my truck, which also is not a daily. The only thing that you will notice is that when you first start driving the truck after it has been sitting for a bit, it will "bounce" in a uniform fashion until the tires warm up. This is caused by the bias-ply getting a flat spot in it when it sits for a bit. Totally normal.

78 Chevy 1 ton Stepside RockCrawler
    468 BB, SM465, NP205
    D60 front, GM 14Bolt w/ Detroit
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bowtiecrawler.com>http://www.bowtiecrawler.com</A>

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Either will give you ggood traction. The SX's are stronger... If you are hard on sidewalls, go with the SX's.

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

They rock. I've had a set in the past and they're tough as nails. got pretty decent wear out of them too. About 28K on a 3800 pound truck.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hey Bryan, was that a fair amount of highway driving? I have heard that the bias plys heat up at highway speeds and cause premature wear...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

6. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I too had them on a previous Blazer. I had the 35-15.50-15's and they were AWESOME! The sidewall traction is really what they say it is. The highway manners were just as good as around town. Very pleased overall.

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

7. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

My brother had a set that lasted 4 years on his truck that was driven daily (amost all paved, about 30 miles a day). He was so happy wth them that he bought another set.

Jeff427
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://lyonsdesign.bigstep.com>http://lyonsdesign.bigstep.com</A>

8. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

What is the tread life you guys are getting from these? Is another question that is important too. This is also my main concern when getting these things since mine is a daily driver.

9. WhiteWhomper

WhiteWhomper 1/2 ton status

I am running a set of 36 x 12.5 x 15 SX's on my '87 Jimmy, and aside from the flat spots that need to be run out in the mornings, I think they are great. So far, they tires have been wearing very well.

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I was on road about 80% of the time, but not much highway time though. The most would be about 60 mile trips.

WhiteWhomper, do you have any pics of your tires you could send me? That's what I want to go to after these radials are bald, and wanted to see the tread pattern on that particular size.

Sherman, Tx
    </font color=red>

11. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

If it's not your daily and you want the stronger tire with great side wall traction, I would go with the SX's.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

12. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

But how bad do they howl?

13. BLzr4x4ngkid

If you don't want the Swamper Hum, then don't get them. The SX's will hum all day and night. It's the best sound you'll ever hear, besides a burn out, from a tire! Personally, the sound is refreshing.

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

the hum I thought was a cross between a plane taking off and about a 80 horse outboard full throttle skimming across the lake. I had a tape deck, and just 4" speakers in the dash, but with the windows down and the stereo maxed out, all I could hear was the tires. I loved it!!!

Sherman, Tx
    </font color=red>

15. BLzr4x4ngkid

You know, I still have yet to figure out why you guys can't hear your stereos? I can hear every single word in a song with the windows down, etc. lol Now, if I end up with Boggers, that's a different story! Seems the faster I go, the louder it gets, can't figure that one out either. One day I passed 73K5 when he was in his car and he said it sound like an airplane. My friend and I decided that it sounds like a couple Beech T-34's flying over, just like they do at Oshkosh every year.

16. BLzr4x4ngkid

You know, I still have yet to figure out why you guys can't hear your stereos? I can hear every single word in a song with the windows down, etc. lol Now, if I end up with Boggers, that's a different story! Seems the faster I go, the louder it gets, can't figure that one out either. One day I passed 73K5 when he was in his car and he said it sound like an airplane. My friend and I decided that it sounds like a couple Beech T-34's flying over, just like they do at Oshkosh every year. The only thing is, the sound doesn't go anywhere!