Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need opinions on tire size...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by undr8ed, May 7, 2005.

1. undr8ed

undr8ed Registered Member

I've searched and searched and I'm about to pull my hair out!!! I've even been on the flame infested "pirate" so here goes...

I have a 79 K5, currently with 4" lift and 33s. I got a steal of a deal on a 60/14b combo with 5.13s. I also have a freshly built (read: BUILT) 700r. I am going to be running 6" lift and Trxus MTs. Now to my question, what size?
    Should I wait until the 37s come out, or could I get away with 35s. I'd prefer to NOT fendertrim too much (read that: just the lip and weld sheetmetal for a smooth wheelwell to fender transition.)

The 14b is shaved and I have the power to "muscle" over obstacles. The other thing is that it's a dd and in the NW, there's a mix of every type of terrain...

Please help!!!

2. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I had a 6" lift and the TRXUS M/t's in size of 35x12.5r15 on my rig at one time. I had very little rub on the back of the fender and never trimmed. It is just what you want to run. The 35's tended to look a little small with the whole lift. Here are some pics with 6" and the 35's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is really up to you as to what yo want to run.

3. undr8ed

Thanks Stomper! I'm mainly concerned with 2 things... Mainly, will I beat the innerwells to sh!t (?) and if I'm going to drag the pumpkin all over...

Thanks

And I LOVE the paint!!! :D

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

<hijack>

Stomper, I must say that is one sweet paint job.

</hijack>

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

With 5.13 gears I would try and hold out for 37's if you can. 35's will be bearable on the street but you will be a little high on the highway RPM's even with a 700R4 but as long as you don't have to kick down to 3rd doing 75 you should be fine.

4" lift is not going to be enough room in the front to clear 37" tires though unless you hack it a decent amount or move the axle forward. You will need a 6" lift to clear 37's with less trimming.

I rub the hell out of my 4" lift with 35's.

Harley

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

get as big as you can afford..

j

7. undr8ed

:cool1: I have separate bank accounts for all of my "toys" lol I'm really thinking a 6" lift and the 37s... Now I just have to make a choice on rim size, haha

What would be a good choice for D60/14b with crossover, tierod above and behind, and hydro assist? (I'm thinking 16 for sidewall, but 17 sounds good-if I can find a set...)