Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need opinions on where to mount elect fuel pump!!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Batmanjr, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

After extensive searching for electric fuel pumps on diesels.... I have finally decided to go with the electric pump because of the piss poor design of the mechanical one.... First, here is the part number for the universal fuel pump for all chevy trucks... It pumps from 5.5-9 PSI Part # E8012S at AZ.... $37.99

Now for the question..... I'm debating on where to mount my pump...

1) If I mount it at the tank, it will prime my whole system and I won't have to worry about air here or air there when I run out of fuel..... But I would have to mount the small mini filter that comes with the pump there and I'm worried about how much it will clog time and time again....

2) I mount the pump on the firewall right above the engine to the right of the primary and above the secondary.... Use the primary as a pre filter instead of the mini piece of crap that comes with it, and the secondary as it is designed.....basically substitute electric for mechanical one for one.... This would allow all the large dibree and crap from the raw fuel to go through the primary before it hit my electric pump, thus cutting down on cloged mini filters/bad fuel pumps from excessive crap...... But I will still have to worry about the ever so pain in the ass of priming the primary when I run out of fuel or change the filter......

Opinions????? Mount it before the primary, or after?????? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I mounted mine as close to the tank that I could along the right side of the frame rail.

3. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

WHy? And how long have you had it there? Have you had any issues with cloging or having to replace the pump??? I'm worried that the cheap fuel I put in my truck will contaminate the pump and ruin it quicker than normal.... Any more opinions out there?????? Thanks!

4. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

An electric pump will PUSH FUEL way better than it can Suck it. So closer to the source is better for the pump. I too ditched my mechanical pump, plated it off and put an electric pump from NAPA back close to the tank. I've had this setup since around Nov. and have had no problems yet. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

I mounted mine about 3 feet from the tank on the right side rail and I also left the manual one in place and in line. I didnt want the electric to take a poo on me one day and be stuck so I left the manual one in. Havent had any problems with it yet.

6. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Ended up mounting mine on the firewall right above intake! Inbetween the two filters! It's self priming unlike the manual one, so that helps alot!!!!! It has the security of having the primary filter mounted prior to it to help kepp it from cloging or wearing out quicker, and still the secondary after.... I took out the manual one cause I'm done with ever messing around with that crap ever again.... Also cause I've already seen and had a diaphram blow out on me and really hate to have diesel pumped throughout my crankcase!!!!! I've heard alot on here from a few sorces that an electric pump pushes better than it pulls...... I'd like to know why you think this...... If you really think about it, the pump is simply designed to move fluid with two one way check valves.... It pushes/pulls equally! The only thing that might gain you anything in the mounting it closer to the tank would be that it primes faster, thus works slightly faster when you run out of fuel, but since the pump is self priming, it's really not that much of an issue! I ended up choosing the longevity lasting way(In my opinion) to mount it, instead of the simple priming way... I still have to crack the line that goes to the injector pump if I run out of fuel, but some day I might put a bleader valve in series..... Works awsome! My truck has never ran better! One thing I will say to everyone, is it never hurts to replace those old hoses, Mine were barely dryrotted but were allowing just a bit of air into the system, which bogged my truck down and made it feel like crap.... Now that I have new filters, hoses, and a good pump, she idles perfectly and runs better than when I bought her! THanks for the opinions all! LAter /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif