Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need opinions. paint scheme ideas.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bablazer73, Sep 22, 2003.

1. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

pic of truck now
    I just had my 76 painted. A buddy did it at his shop. Trying to keep costs down, we were using mostly leftover paint. The color is from a 91 cavilier. But we ran out before the top got painted. I also have some bushwacker(non cutout style)flares that need to get painted. He suggested using a darker blue. It's a ford blue. what the use on the tauras and pickups. a bright metallic blue. Very similar to what GM uses now on the monte SS and Impala's. What do you think of painting just the top and flares that color. This way i don't have to shell out any funds for more paint!

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I would go with either white or black. I think black would look really good, especially if you went with some black rock cralwer wheels. But then again, a white top with that color blue would look awesome!!

Kris

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sounds like a great idea. If you've got enough, I'd redo the whole thing that dark blue. I really don't care for the color your truck is now...I like darker colors for trucks.

4. bablazer73

I was afraid to paint the whole truck that dark! It's not perfectly strait!! I wanted it a little darker than what it is, But when your getting paint and labor for FREEEEEE, (almost free, gotta do some work on his blazer!) you can't really bitch!!

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I would go with either white or black. I think black would look really good, especially if you went with some black rock cralwer wheels.

[/ QUOTE ] I think rock crawlers should only be used for rock crawler rigs because they're so freakin' ugly. Go with a nice aluminum wheel, welds if you can afford them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-----------------
    85K5 3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt, 9"lift,35"boggers, 16.5x14welds
    big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think rock crawlers should only be used for rock crawler rigs because they're so freakin' ugly. Go with a nice aluminum wheel, welds if you can afford them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Pimp that bling! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Steel wheels are for those that would rather spend their money on functional items./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif All Welds do is look shiny, unless you're doing something with your truck that requires a lightweight wheel. I've seen a Weld split in half and have a bead broken off, never seen that with a steel wheel... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Spend your money on whatever you want, but for less than you paid for your Welds I have double beadlocks that will work a hell of a lot better off road and still look cool. Plus they're much less common so they're cool just because of that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Anyways, this post isn't even about wheels... I say go for the dark blue if you want, although I think that white or black would look good too. I like the color you painted your truck, looks real nice.

7. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Paint looks good! I think I would go with white for the top and not worry with the flares, unless you are going to have some big tires that make the flares not look so out of place. With white or black for the top it would look factory or close to it. But it is not mine, you gotta decide. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. rjfguitar

I doubt he wants to go trail riding with it and screw up his new paint. He obviously wants a nice looking truck and rock crawlers arent nice looking wheels. Welds are very strong and never have seen one break even ones that are used on some MEAN street machines around here running the draglights. They do look shiney, come in more sizes than almost any other wheel, weigh less and look 10 times better than any other wheel, that is important to a lot of guys that use their truck as a DD. For a trail truck I wouldn't run welds because that would be stupid.I would rather spend the extra$$$ for a wheel that isn't ugly as sin for my DD.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    He obviously wants a nice looking truck and rock crawlers arent nice looking wheels.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree. It simply depends on what look you're going for. I took my chrome wheels off and sold them. I've got black wheels now with chrome centercaps and lug nuts. I think my truck looks a LOT better that way. I think a trail/off road truck looks nasty with shiny wheels.

My daily driver has Eagle Alloys 589s on it, so I definitely can appreciate a nice aluminum wheel, but not on a real truck. That's why I've told you time and time again, I can't believe that you mounted Boggers on your Welds. To me, that just looks too, "show truck" like to me to see shiny wheels and trail tires.

Trail tires should be on tough looking trail wheels, and that's what black rock crawlers are!

I love my black wheels and they were only $160. You can shove your Welds, I'd take my wheels ANY day over them.
    [​IMG]

10. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

Pimp that bling!

[/ QUOTE ]
    WHAT? are we all driving cadillacs with daytons and hydros with rap and mariachy music blaring? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I was afraid to paint the whole truck that dark! It's not perfectly strait!! I wanted it a little darker than what it is, But when your getting paint and labor for FREEEEEE, (almost free, gotta do some work on his blazer!) you can't really bitch!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I can definitely see your point. I know that lighter colors hide a lot more.

12. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I can't believe that you mounted Boggers on your Welds. To me, that just looks too, "show truck" like to me to see shiny wheels and trail tires.

[/ QUOTE ] ya ya. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I personally don't mind show trucks all that much, unless they are 30 feet high with a million shocks, thats overdone. IMHO I think boggers and welds are the meanest looking combo that can be put together... before you guys jump to the quote button I said IMHO.. thats what I personally like. There is something about that ultra deep aluminum wheel and agressive tire that gets me. Like I said It would be stupid to run welds on a trail truck because there expensive and can be scratched. I would like to hear how many HONEST people think my combo is ugly/attractive, I have pics in the member galleries/search:rjfguitar. I just can't see running non agressive street tires on a lifted 4x4.

13. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

I did one of my GTAs with that same paint and used a light silver for all the stripe work it looks good. As for wheels the wheels on the bird are chroume oter with black center and they look great. Any time I put new wheels on a car or truck I take a look at how much chrome is on the ride and if their is a lot then the wheels are aluminam or chrome if not I use a wheel with a color that looks good with it. when my truck had the 72 front end I hade MT classic wheels now I have a 68 front end and use a Black american racing wheel they match the black bumpers Im using now.
    Earl
    Earl

14. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    . Any time I put new wheels on a car or truck I take a look at how much chrome is on the ride and if their is a lot then the wheels are aluminam or chrome if not I use a wheel with a color that looks good with it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    very good point. I have a lot of chrome

15. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would like to hear how many HONEST people think my combo is ugly/attractive, I have pics in the member galleries/search:rjfguitar. I just can't see running non agressive street tires on a lifted 4x4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider myself "brutally honest", I think your wheel and tire combo looks great, not exactly a logical choice in my book what with the Boogers for a street truck and I think the super wide rims look stupid. BUT, the shiny Welds and Boggers look very bling, yo. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. rjfguitar

Well thats what makes our world different and great because we don't all like the same exact thing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I personally think the skinny shallow rim and fat wide tire looks stupid to me. I like it when the tread width and rim width are the same for that square look on a DD. Thanks for the honest opinion. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

17. bablazer73

This is a street queen. I already have a truck with nasty wheels and 44's. I do have a set of 33's and some STEEL 10" rims going on. They stick out of the fenders in the front enough to damage the paint when rocks fly. Thats why the flares. BUT I NEED PAINT OPINIONS!!! rims at this point don't matter! my choices are I buy more of the light blue OR i use the dark blue that I am getting for free! I like the FREE idea, but didn't know how the paint scheme would look. I want opinions on the PAINT. please.

18. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

What about using the dark blue to paint the lower half of the vehicle all the way around, and the roof? Might show less dirt and grime from the road better than the light blue.
    Maybe 2 dark blue racing stripes on the hood and over the cab?

19. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think that would look good truck looks nice I'd say go for the top and flares the darker blue it 'll look tough /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

You should paint one of the flares and put it on the truck so we can see what it would look like.
    Earl