Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Opinions.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by andhar, Sep 21, 2004.

1. andhar

andhar 1/2 ton status

I know this is the wrong forum but the audio forum is dead and I am too broke to buy a membership ( I have to support my truck's drinking habit today)..

I thought about putting the speakers here instead of the door in case I had to do extensive cutting to get them to fit..
    [​IMG]

What do yall think?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I was thinking of building a small enclosure for the speakers to fit in. lemme know what you think please.

Or if you have put speakers in the door what did u have to do ?

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

That's probably as good a place as any. Make sure it doesn't block the heater ducts.

IMO, I don't think you can beat the doors for the best sound quality.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You won't get the propper stereo imaging like that.

4. andhar

andhar 1/2 ton status

Proper Imaging? so youre suggesting I cut the doors then?

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

6. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Cut the doors. I have one 4inch in both doors, and two 6 inches in the panel behind the drivers and passengers seats. I can hear it good on the highway with the top off, but its not a "system" so to speak. Good luck.

7. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you are going to build a mount or box for that spot, why not build one fot the doors. Make it fit against the face of the door where the pockets usually go. You can use toggle bolts to mount it. No cutting the door metal. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What do yall think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who needs a stereo /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gifcould'nt hear it if I had one
    They'd be under water most of the time in my truck /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. andhar

andhar 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Make it fit against the face of the door where the pockets usually go. You can use toggle bolts to mount it. No cutting the door metal. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just gonna build something simple, I am not talented when it comes to fabbing stuff up at all.

I would really like to use the 6.5s instead of the lil speakers in the dash but i dunno , so damn confused.

Is the space behind the pocket empty?

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I dont think thats a good place for speakers,even if they are enclosed they will get kicked,and the heater blowing hot air on them will dry out and warp the cones.I know there arent many good places to mount speakers in a GM pickup or K5,the doors or kick panels are about the only place they will fit(some folks put them in place of the air vents in the kick panel,but they get wet and windblasted there)--my 79 pickup has some wedge shaped speaker enclosures screwed to the cab just above my ears,they look like refugees from the "sparkomatic"era of the 70's,but they sound good--well,at least as good as an aftermarket am/fm/8 track /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifcan sound!.The cab corners are a good place to mount them in a pickup too(the factory puts them there,as well as the dash)but in my other truck I also have a speaker box with 2 8 inch woofers and a small amp,its hard to get the seat all the way back with them there though(I'm 6'4 and need every inch!).My diesel truck is what needs a jukebox the most,to drown out the clatter from the 6.2,but so far all it has is a block off plate--oh well--at least some crackhead cant steal its radio!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I had some speakers in a pod on my doors, it worked out ok for me, but it was on a street truck. The speakers I used had poly cones, so water on them was not an issue. By builing a pod on the door rather than cutting a hole in the door you will protect the speaker from the dirt and moisture that lives in the doors, which will kill a speaker fairly quick.

Here is what I had: (8) JL Audio 6 1/2" co-axials (4 in each door). The speakers were $150 a set, so $600 total for both doors. Each door had it's own amplifier, a JBL GTS-150. It was loud and sounded good. I scanned this picture, but I don't know how scan it any larger. The pods looked pretty cool, they were rounded off on the ends and rounded and contoured (sp?) around the grills.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]