Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Opinions!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Mar 20, 2006.

?

Trade engine, or run the low compression engine and get the truck running already?

1. Go for it!

12.5%
  2. Keep your current engine!

25.0%
  3. I'm naekid, and my engine is way better than your engine!

62.5%
  1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys!

Hows it going today?

Ok, I'd got a bit of a dilemma on my hands. I was recently approached by a buddy of mine who wanted to pay me to help him get his Camaro back together for this summer. Now, thats all fine and dandy with me, all the car really needs is an engine, and the rear diff to be re-installed. Probally get it all done in a week or two, but since he works full time, he doesn't have any time to work on the car.

Now, he asked me to build the engine for his car so he can continue to run the tuned port injection, but did not want to have to change his chip, injectors etc.

So, basically he has a bone stock speed density L98 (TPI 5.7, 4 bolt main) engine that he has in a million peices in his shop. He wants me to build an engine for him at a reasonable cost.

Now, here is where the dillema comes in. My 80 K25 has a tuned port 350 in it. However, while I was really happy with what I put together at first, I am having second thoughts about my engine. It is a 350 bored out .020, with stock style dished pistons, stock bottom end, stock heads, an XE262-H camshaft, and the TPI slapped on top. Now, thats all fine and good for the EFI less the camshaft. That cam will cause problems with the EFI, but even if I change it, that lower compression engine will never make quite the torque that I want for my truck.

So, I talked to my buddy about it, being totally honest about his heads being far superior to mine, but also how his engine does need new bearings, pistons, etc as well, and he didn't seem to terribly turned off by the idea of possibly doing a cam swap on my engine, and installing it into his car as is.

So, basically that'd leave me with a bone stock engine to start fresh on. I did hear his engine run before he took the car apart, and it sounded very good. There is a bit of side to side play in the connecting rod to crank connections, but none up and down. There is no ridge on the cylinder walls, and they still have a nice crisp crosshatching pattern on them. My buddy told me that his PO claimed the engine had been rebuilt fairly recently, and judging by what I saw, it was all good less that side to side play in the connecting rod to crank connections.

I'd want to pull it apart, put a set of hypertectuic 9.2:1 compression pistons in, with all new bearings (less the cam bearings), rings, and an EFI camshaft, much like the one I'd be buying for his engine. He says that the heads were re-worked when his PO had the engine rebuilt, and again, I believe him as they appear to be in excellent shape as well.

That engine combo would produce far more torque than my 8.5:1 compression engine, along with the nicer heads.

So, basically, they are the same engine, less his heads being better than mine as they sit right now. Both have the same pistons, intakes etc.

How much do you guys figure it'd cost me to re-seal, put new bearings, pistons, rings, and a cam into his engine?

Thanks!

Russ

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Refuse the job.

3. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

You should keep what you have a do a cam swap. Don't argue with 150 psi in each cylinder and pegging the oil guage out (like you said on IM). Maybe you should look into that turbo setup.. That would be big pimpin :bow:
    thanks,
    James

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah, it would be awesome, and with 8.5:1, a guy could run like 5 - 6 PSI, and probally not worry about breaking the bottom end, or detonation issues... Probally wouldn't need an intercooler either.

However, it'd definitely be very expensive, and finding the right turbo / a waste gate, boost gauge, making a turbo manifold, exhaust routing etc would all add up real quick.

I'm thinkin I might just pull the engine, do my cam swap, and leave my engine be. Its lower compression, and the heads arn't quite so good, but I suppose that it doesn't take long to pull an engine to do that kind of work in the future. Maybe I should just get my rig running, and drive it for a while to work the bugs out.